Airport Express

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Apple novice here;

Does anyone use the latest AEX with windows and spotify (I don't use itunes)?

What is the sound quality of the units in-built DAC and are there any issues with reliability/signal.

I have a good wireless signal in most of my flat other than the bedroom (use a bluetooth device in the lounge) so am interested in getting one for the bedroom system which would probably double to extend my wireless signal too.

Thanks

Regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Apparently Mart has tested the output of the AEX and the DAC in the newest version is up there with the best availible.

Thanks. Pardon my stupid questions but how is compatibility with non-apple apps such as spotify (ogg-vorbis)?

regards

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I use a 1st gen AEX to stream Spotify and internet radio in my second system with no problems at all - I assume the latest version is as good or better. (Stay proud DM)

John Duncan

basshound said:
Look into using it as a streamer and a wireless extender,think it only works with Apple routers as a wireless extender.

That would be a change in functionality then, as it used to be able to extend any old wireless network. However, I've never been clear on whether you could do both at the same time - ie extend your network *and* stream - as I've never tried.

My 2nd gen AEX is improved noticeably by the addition of a DAC (by reducing the noise from the analogue output).

If you want to stream anything other than iTunes on windows you need Airfoil, which is about $15 ottomh.

EDIT - $25: https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It will work to extend any network , done my old one with both bt and belkin routers , and my old bt one was coal fired .

Or if you plug it into a router you can set it up as a wifi network , mine works like that while streaming music at the same time

James

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There is also the Peachtree iT x DAC tailored for AEx or ATV. Could be a DAC to consider.

P.S. Got "Your submission has triggered the spam filter and will not be accepted." D.S.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts