airport express

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
DavieCee:

Actually, if you had quoted my entire post you would have seen that this is exactly what I was suggesting
emotion-18.gif

Ok, maybe I was confused. You did suggest this in your second sentence (in brackets), but in the last bit that I quoted, you said to go RCA if waiting on a separate DAC. I am just saying that even if you wait on seperate DAC, you can go optical already.

Sorry if I have added to the confusion.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
axman:I am just saying that even if you wait on seperate DAC, you can go optical already.

Yes, but only if the stereo amp has a built-in DAC. Which is unlikely in the £500 budget the OP is looking at.

A

Anonymous

Sorry I am right to think you have to have a amp with a built in dac in order to use a optical cable though the airport express! Unless of course you use a separate dac with the amp?

iMark

Yes. Not many stereo amps have a digital input and a DAC. That's why a lot of people buy a separate DAC to connect to their amp. I bought a Cambridge Audio DACMagic this year and connected it to my 10 year old stereo receiver. Most of our CD's our now ripped to Apple Lossless and we play them from a MacBook through an Airport Express to the DAC.

If you get extra software like Airfoil you can play any sound from your computer to the DAC. Works great for Spotify and iPlayer radio.

adp72uk

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Having just read your thread I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring!

I've just invested in two airport expresses, the first feeds my AV amp (Denon 1911) via an optical cable and the second my hi fi amp (Rotel RA-02) via a 3.5 to RCA cable.

I realise that AV amps are not really designed for music and that the different makes of speakers on both systems make a difference but I find the hi fi with the analogue connection sounds best. Even low bit rate stuff sounds brilliant.

Obviously what you perceive as sounding great is very subjective and my hearing might be a bit shot from years of scuba diving and hundreds of gigs but I guess my point is try the cheaper option first and stick with what sounds good to you.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
adp72uk:I've just invested in two airport expresses, the first feeds my AV amp (Denon 1911) via an optical cable and the second my hi fi amp (Rotel RA-02) via a 3.5 to RCA cable.
I realise that AV amps are not really designed for music and that the different makes of speakers on both systems make a difference but I find the hi fi with the analogue connection sounds best. Even low bit rate stuff sounds brilliant.

As you say, the difference in the systems is going to make the major difference - I would definitely hope your Rotel stereo amp would perform better than the Denon in that scenario! However, you could put an external DAC in the stereo setup to further improve performance if so desired.adp72uk:Obviously what you perceive as sounding great is very subjective and my hearing might be a bit shot from years of scuba diving and hundreds of gigs but I guess my point is try the cheaper option first and stick with what sounds good to you.

Couldn't agree more.

A

Anonymous

At the of the day it's always down to your own ear some cheaper option might sound better to you!

TRENDING THREADS