Airplay- warmer sound?

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
This is a strange one.

I have a Denon 3311 and my digital music is stored on an NAS (which I also use for movies, photos etc) hardwired to my amp. Now that Airplay has come along it means I can use Apple remote on my iPhone to access all my iTunes tracks. I had some FLAC albums which I have converted into Apple lossless files in order to put them onto iTunes too.

I have noticed, however, that the music sounds much warmer when using Airplay over DNLA. It seems less dynamic. At first I thought it had something to do with converting my FLAC albums, but even 320kbps mp3s sound different when switching between Airplay and DNLA. Is there a setting on iTunes which might cause this? Is the sound being somehow compressed when using Airplay?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
My guess in that case is that is at the Dennon End not iTunes, I run an Airport Express and an Origional Apple TV, both sound fantastic Are there any EQ settings Direct mode or similar you can select in the Amp that are input dependant.

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I thought that might be the case too, but Aiplay and the DNLA both come through the "NET/USB" input and therefore have the same settings (which I normally have on "Direct" which bypasses EQ sttings).

I might email Denon and ask them.

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Solved it! (sort of).

Having played with iTunes for a bit I came across a "Show Equalizer" in the "View" section (I'm using a PC).

The equalizer was set to "Bass Booster". I switched that off and - hey presto - the sound is back to normal!

One thing that does still bug me, however, is that the "Bass booster" EQ is always set to "ON" when I boot up iTunes. Surely there must be a way to diable the EQ setting on iTunes without having to do it every time??

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Petruchio:
This is a strange one.

I have a Denon 3311 and my digital music is stored on an NAS (which I also use for movies, photos etc) hardwired to my amp. Now that Airplay has come along it means I can use Apple remote on my iPhone to access all my iTunes tracks. I had some FLAC albums which I have converted into Apple lossless files in order to put them onto iTunes too.

I have noticed, however, that the music sounds much warmer when using Airplay over DNLA. It seems less dynamic. At first I thought it had something to do with converting my FLAC albums, but even 320kbps mp3s sound different when switching between Airplay and DNLA. Is there a setting on iTunes which might cause this? Is the sound being somehow compressed when using Airplay?

Hi Petruchio,

Sorry to jump in here but how do I connect a NAS to my Denon 3310? Do i connect to netgear wireless router which is hardwired to the 3310 and then what? Sorry for being dense but I know nada about this and sorry for jumping in on thread but i need help.

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS