Air and Magic

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

chebby:chebby:It is not all iTunes though. I am loving internet radio and youtube, Sonic Bomb etc etc via the DAC. (Listening to Radio Paradise at 128kbps right now. V nice)

Correction. I am now listening to Radio Paradise at 192kbps on Windows Media Player rather than the restricted 128kbps version on iTunes. (All WMP 'enhancements' turned off.) It sounds glorious!

Best internet station I have come across in ages (and no intrusive DJs or ads).

http://www.radioparadise.com/musiclinks/rp_192.m3u

Other bit rate options...

http://www.radioparadise.com/content.php?name=Listen

You Mac people will need to use this (Flip4Mac) free Windows Media player for your Apple machine...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx

(Or you can find the lesser 128kbps version of Radio Paradise on iTunes radio under 'Eclectic' and filed under R)

I was not familiar with radioparidise, but thanks to this post I am now. I am on a Mac; and stream with a Squeezebox. Using the link you supplied I have no problem streaming the 192kbps version. Thanks

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:chebby:JohnDuncan:Octopo:
JohnDuncan:Apple TV?

What when you can get a Mac Mini for the same price?ÿ

Can you?!!??! There you go then.The cheapest Mac Mini is £391 and only has an 80GB hard drive. (Extra £59 for 160GB HD = £450 total.)The 160GB Apple TV is £263(All Apple UK store prices.)

Er.... I suppose I could have been more clear but I thought everyone was buying second hand Mac Mini's these days hence the (Apple TV) prices on ebay. Much better buy if you ask me.ÿ

Yes. I've been monitoring ebay for mini macs.

It's a damn silly site with silly people paying silly money for the things I want to buy.

I was trying to buy a Flexifoil Blade 4.9 a couple of years ago and they were going for more or less the same money as I could buy new. Probably turned out for the best....I would've probably ended up breaking my legs.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I personally wouldn't touch a second hand computer with a barge pole, new ones are bad enough and last but a couple of years before they need rebuilding completely

And by the way this thread is on the wrong forum ÿ

ÿ

John Duncan

JoelSim:And by the way this thread is on the wrong forum ÿ
Arcam_Blackbox_500.JPG

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:And by the way this thread is on the wrong forum ÿAnd to think that Arcam were one of the first hifi manufacturers to popularise the external DAC.........

ÿ

Quite right, and the DAC is still at the heart...

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:Quite right, and the DAC is still at the heart......of an inherently better way of achieving high fidelity music reproduction, yes. By George, I think he's beginning to get it!
emotion-5.gif

Sitting here with the Macbook, and no it's a computer not a hifi

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
At this interjecture, can I say that I paid approx £800 for my CD/amp/power amp combo and I'll get the vast majority of that back when I upgrade...my Macbook Air was £899 and I'll get jack back when it fails...and if you think I'm dull enough to spend the next few weeks of my life transferring CDs to it, you are very much mistaken, especially given I would also need to purchase a DAC of which my CD player has 4 already...Hmmm let me think, @ £30 per hour, my time to do that would allow me to either:

1) Enjoy myself

or

2) Buy a dCS Scarlatti, valve pre/monoblock combo and some KEF thingies...

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
And to add to that I would have to get the other MacBook out too as mine doesn't have a disk drive and I would have to 'remote...' everything too

I'd rather suck my toenails

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Bit of advice Joel, if you haven't already get the Applecare for the Air. I'm a fan of Apples and every single one of my four Apples to date has failed in someway. On two occasions I got the newer model as a replacement which made it even more worth it! (They always seem to fail just after the first year as well for some reason...).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I got a 2 year warranty from John Lewis and I'll be pleasantly surprised if it lasts longer, maybe I'll buy an AppleCare in about 22 months' time. Computers on the whole are rubbish

ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:At this interjecture, can I say that I paid approx £800 for my CD/amp/power amp combo and I'll get the vast majority of that back when I upgrade...my Macbook Air was £899 and I'll get jack back when it fails...and if you think I'm dull enough to spend the next few weeks of my life transferring CDs to it, you are very much mistaken, especially given I would also need to purchase a DAC of which my CD player has 4 already...Hmmm let me think, @ £30 per hour, my time to do that would allow me to either:
1) Enjoy myself

or

Joel - you're moving too fast. Just rip your favourite song to your Macbook (just one song, it'll take a few seconds). Hook your Macbook up to your hi-fi with a standard 3.5mm to RCA phono lead. Try it - play that song. Is it as good as your hi-fi? Probably not, but I'm willing to bet it's not as bad as you thought it might be. And now, think how good it could be if you followed everyone's recommendations!

Don't get me wrong mate, I still listen to tunes from CDs as it's still my personal choice for doing so. But I can't deny that computer music can sound as good and possibly better if I invested in it.

A

Anonymous

I'm running the Airport express straight into an old Urei 1620 (old analogue audiophile DJ mixer) and studio amp and it sounds fantastic. The Urei really warms up the sound. Next step is def the DACMagic...

Now consider the AppleTV into the mix: It streams the audio files to the AE without the need for the Mac to be on, displays the album art on a HD TV in 1080p, is controlled by my iPhone using the remote app, plays podcasts, slide shows all my pictures, lets me rent HD movies (not in 1080p though), stores ripped DVDs...

I have found that turning on volume control and sound checker effects the audio a bit. Anyone else find this?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:JoelSim:At this interjecture, can I say that I paid approx £800 for my CD/amp/power amp combo and I'll get the vast majority of that back when I upgrade...my Macbook Air was £899 and I'll get jack back when it fails...and if you think I'm dull enough to spend the next few weeks of my life transferring CDs to it, you are very much mistaken, especially given I would also need to purchase a DAC of which my CD player has 4 already...Hmmm let me think, @ £30 per hour, my time to do that would allow me to either:
1) Enjoy myself

or

Joel - you're moving too fast. Just rip your favourite song to your Macbook (just one song, it'll take a few seconds). Hook your Macbook up to your hi-fi with a standard 3.5mm to RCA phono lead. Try it - play that song. Is it as good as your hi-fi? Probably not, but I'm willing to bet it's not as bad as you thought it might be. And now, think how good it could be if you followed everyone's recommendations!

Don't get me wrong mate, I still listen to tunes from CDs as it's still my personal choice for doing so. But I can't deny that computer music can sound as good and possibly better if I invested in it.

Prof

Have you not realised by now that you won't change Joel's mind on this (or anything).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:professorhat:JoelSim:At this interjecture, can I say that I paid approx £800 for my CD/amp/power amp combo and I'll get the vast majority of that back when I upgrade...my Macbook Air was £899 and I'll get jack back when it fails...and if you think I'm dull enough to spend the next few weeks of my life transferring CDs to it, you are very much mistaken, especially given I would also need to purchase a DAC of which my CD player has 4 already...Hmmm let me think, @ £30 per hour, my time to do that would allow me to either:
1) Enjoy myself

or

Prof

Have you not realised by now that you won't change Joel's mind on this (or anything).

Are you saying I'm stubborn?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Gerrardasnails:professorhat:JoelSim:At this interjecture, can I say that I paid approx £800 for my CD/amp/power amp combo and I'll get the vast majority of that back when I upgrade...my Macbook Air was £899 and I'll get jack back when it fails...and if you think I'm dull enough to spend the next few weeks of my life transferring CDs to it, you are very much mistaken, especially given I would also need to purchase a DAC of which my CD player has 4 already...Hmmm let me think, @ £30 per hour, my time to do that would allow me to either:
1) Enjoy myself

or

Prof

Are you saying I'm stubborn?

I can feel a Blackadder quote coming....

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through"?

I can always rely on you JD.

The quality goes up when I have time on my hands
emotion-2.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I didn't realise that Apples were soooo unreliable. My PCs seem to last forever. They tend to get binned when I can't be bother to upgarde them anymore.

And you're right Joel. This thread is in the wrong forum!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:I didn't realise that Apples were soooo unreliable. My PCs seem to last forever. They tend to get binned when I can't be bother to upgarde them anymore.And you're right Joel. This thread is in the wrong forum!

As Chelsea are currently losing to Southend I'll let you off for coming on here PJP. Just this once mind...

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts