AIFF and FLAC

Gasman

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I am having trouble ripping cds to my NAS. I am using DB Poweramp and ripping into FLAC. About 10% of my cds will not rip properly - if I rip to AIFF is the quality similar?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Gasman said:
Hi all

I am having trouble ripping cds to my NAS. I am using DB Poweramp and ripping into FLAC. About 10% of my cds will not rip properly - if I rip to AIFF is the quality similar?

Thanks

When you say "not rip properly" what do you mean? Do you get an accuraterip error?

Perhaps try EAC and use secure mode.

AIFF and FLAC are the same quality. AIFF is just Apple's PCM/WAV format. FLAC is losslessly compressed PCM. When played back they sound exactly the same.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
AIFF and FLAC are the same quality. AIFF is just Apple's PCM/WAV format. FLAC is losslessly compressed PCM. When played back they sound exactly the same.

Weeeelll, they should sound the same. In my experience AIFF has a slight edge in quality, though this may be system dependent. If space is available I would rip to AIFF (or WAV) as this is the 'cleanest' format for re-conversation at a later date if necessary. All my music is archived in AIFF and some copied to MP3/FLAC/AAC/Ogg Vorbis for playing on phones, ipods etc.

A

Anonymous

Trefor Patten said:

Weeeelll, they should sound the same. In my experience AIFF has a slight edge in quality, though this may be system dependent. If space is available I would rip to AIFF (or WAV) as this is the 'cleanest' format for re-conversation at a later date if necessary. All my music is archived in AIFF and some copied to MP3/FLAC/AAC/Ogg Vorbis for playing on phones, ipods etc.

They do sound exactly the same, unless there is a problem with your hardware. The FLAC is converted into exactly the same format , and more importantly, exactly the same bit-for-bit file before playback. The processing power for conversion of FLAC is negligible. It works perfectly on many portable players, so for a computer, or a NAS drive it's next to irrelevant.

FLAC or any other lossless format is a much better format for storage, is better for metadata, and just as easy to convert, especially as the OP has dbPoweramp which makes life very easy.

For the moment also, FLAC is the de facto standard for lossless downloads.

Haggy792

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
As a newbie, I found Exact Audio Copy easier to use than dbPoweramp, the only disconcerting issue I found was when you rip using the compress button it states WAV, though (Assuming you set it up for FLAC)it actually converts it to the format you selected.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
snivilisationism said:
Gasman said:

When you say "not rip properly" what do you mean? Do you get an accuraterip error?

dbPowerAmp has a secure mode, it'll be quicker to try that first.

More to the point if there's a problem with the physical CDs, changing the codec to rip to isn't going to make any difference.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Or use MediaMonkey to both rip to FLAC and manage your library. Simples!

Just noticed that version 4 of MediaMonkey has just been release and amongst the claimed improvements is "secure ripping for bit perfect CD rips". I've never noticed problems with any of my previous CD rips as I've never tried to spread jam on any of them but I'll be upgrading to version 4 for all the other improvements

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/What%27s_New_in_V4#Secure_ripping

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
snivilisationism said:
Gasman said:

More to the point if there's a problem with the physical CDs, changing the codec to rip to isn't going to make any difference.

The point being, EAC has better recovery success on damaged CDs in my experience. I have both paid for dbPoweramp (because it's easier to use, quicker and will rip 2 codecs at the same time), and EAC as it's the only thing that has managed to rip a couple of CDs that were left in a car not in their cases (silly me).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
snivilisationism said:
The_Lhc said:
snivilisationism said:
Gasman said:

The point being, EAC has better recovery success on damaged CDs in my experience. I have both paid for dbPoweramp (because it's easier to use, quicker and will rip 2 codecs at the same time), and EAC as it's the only thing that has managed to rip a couple of CDs that were left in a car not in their cases (silly me).

Granted but it'll still be quicker to try dbPowerAmp's secure mode first, that's a couple of button clicks, compared to downloading, installing, configuring and then trying EAC. He can do that later if dbPowerAmp fails.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts