after a new tablet next week

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I am going round in circles trying to find a tablet that will do i want. it can be apple,noia,samsung, esus,archos,motarola im really not fussed.

the first thing it has to able to watch youtube and videos with no black bars

i will need is a good keyboard that can double up as stand so it can be used on my breakfast bar but it has to dock so its in landscape mode i cant see why some i have seen dock in 4.3 or something that is niot suited for watching tv films ect.

sky go app,sky plus app

wd remote for my streaming media player

spotify,pure lounge app

flac app would be good

picasa app

skype app

squeezebox app

dropbox and box sync and app

golf v1 app would be nice

amazon kindle

shortcuts to various websites

i would like to be able preload a 32gb micro sd card of mp320 files from my flac files and you tube videos for when i go away. and have no internet wifi.

i would love the option of a usb so i could plug a usb stick in while its on the dock this could be on the dock keyboard or the tablet.

i really want to be able to stream from nas to it and play 1080p mkv video blu ray rips if that ever becomes allowed.

and i feel must is hdmi out so i can plug it into my tv on the wall and run squeezebox app and then control via the phone but the nice artwork will be on show on the tv. ( i have tried the laptop into tv but the squeezebox server looks pants.) plus a hdmi is always nice for sky go upstairs ect.

battery life and games for 5-10years are little bonus's. sell on value is also not key but a good. and i would like a tablet that will update at least once so im current for 12months.

is there one out there every one seems to fail on something

many thanks in advance simon

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
smuggs said:
the first thing it has to able to watch youtube and videos with no black bars

Well, the trouble you've got here is deciding what things you want to watch most. If it's proper widescreen films, you'll need a device which has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio (and even then, films and YouTube videos that aren't in that ratio will have black bars at the side) - trouble is that I don't believe there's a tablet which has this, since it would be pretty weird for most other tasks i.e. internet browsing, apps etc.

Otherwise, you could compromise with one with a 16:9 ratio, but then (just like on your TV) most widescreen films would have black bars top and bottom.

smuggs said:
i would like to be able preload a 32gb micro sd card of mp320 files from my flac files and you tube videos for when i go away. and have no internet wifi.

Well, that rules out the iPad.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I would hang on a few weeks for the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity to come out.

This will be a gamechanger in the tablet market. Quadcore cpu, 1920x1200 screen in a 16:10 aspect, 64GB plus microSD slot

With its keyboard dock it can become a fully fledged ultrabook.

http://eee.asus.com/en/eeepad/transformer-prime/features

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the input.

ipad3 looks great but whats putting me off is that it may be hard to stream my blu ray dvd rips which are mkv.

the way you add an sd card or memory stick is via the port on the bottom through an apdaptor.

the way it docks in portait.

as the others are widscreen can you not just turn them upright when browsing the internet.

i do feel that most apps are one everyone so thats not a issue.

is there a way with apple to clone the picture on my main tv.

also is there any good keyboards for the ipad.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
smuggs said:
the way you add an sd card or memory stick is via the port on the bottom through an apdaptor.

My understanding was that this allowed you to transfer photos and videos to the iPad from your camera without having to do this via a PC. I'm pretty sure it can't be used to actually store and play things e.g. music, but happy to be corrected on that if I'm wrong.

smuggs said:
as the others are widscreen can you not just turn them upright when browsing the internet.

Well yes, but my point was, with feature films mostly in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, you're still going to get black bars with them. Only 16:9 videos will appear without black bars. It would be impossible to get a device which could play any video with no black bars obviously, but it depends on what you're likely to watch most which should influence your decision.

smuggs said:
is there a way with apple to clone the picture on my main tv.

Yup, either via the Digital AV adapter (link), or via an Apple TV, you can mirror your iPad / iPhone 4S display through AirPlay.

Honestly though, unless you have an over-aching desire to own an iPad (and I can understand that, believe me) given all your requirements, I think you're probably better off with an Andriod tablet.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks for help im 30 years old this week and my mum wants to get a tablet or something.

i do want an ipad nothing more than i love the android phone market but im not sure all the widgets ect will work well on the tablets.

problems i have is 101 films ripped in mkv 720p and 1080p which i play through a wd box i would like my tablet to streaming through the net when upstairs but i cant see the square looking ipad being any good.

the other is to clone the squeezebox app through the tv which your link looks good.

and i dont like the dock of a ipad being on the side so its portait while in.

is there a link anywhere for the active android tablet apps and widgets

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts