Affordable DAC's to use with WiiM mini?

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Suggestions for an inexpensive DAC to pair with a WiiM mini, for a secondary hifi setup? Something better quality than the DAC that comes with the mini, ideally with RCA outputs.

And, also- is this truly needed (ie, is the DAC in the mini good enough?)

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I use the Khadas Tone 1 DAC, which I find to be very good for my needs and good value too.

With regard to your second question, reviews seem to indicate that the WiiM Mini does sound better with an external DAC.

May be worth trying one on demo that you could return if you don’t find an improvement.

DG…

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
The Topping DACs seem to be quite popular. Depending on your budget, the D10S measures great at entry level. Some people prefer the Schiit Modi or ifi DACs. Lots of budget options depending on how much you want to spend.

Reactions: AndrewF

Witterings

Think the OP's long since gone but noticed some CA DacMagic 100's Open Box but Never Used discounted on e-bay, they've sold a few but still had 4 in stock so I'm guessing the never used may be genuine ... thought I#d mention in case anybody else stumbled on this thread and was looking for a half decent budget Dac.

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Think the OP's long since gone but noticed some CA DacMagic 100's Open Box but Never Used discounted on e-bay, they've sold a few but still had 4 in stock so I'm guessing the never used may be genuine ... thought I#d mention in case anybody else stumbled on this thread and was looking for a half decent budget Dac.
No, I’m following. Thanks. I’m listening to the WiiM for now. It sounds better than the Airport, although there are obviously two variables (lossless/Hi Res source now). I’m not certain the integrated amp and speakers it is feeding into warrant more source upgrading.

Witterings

No, I’m following. Thanks. I’m listening to the WiiM for now. It sounds better than the Airport, although there are obviously two variables (lossless/Hi Res source now). I’m not certain the integrated amp and speakers it is feeding into warrant more source upgrading.

What is the amp / speakers ... maybe we can help you empty your wallet those as well :ROFLMAO:

Fandango Andy

A little late to this, so you have probably already got what you are looking for. I started with the internal DAC. I then tried a £20 fiio I had lying around. It did improve slightly on the internal DAC so I knew there was room to improve.

I settled on an SMSL SU-1 really happy with the results. Clear open sound. Mainly using with Amazon music. As good as CD at worst, generally better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts