Advise for upgrading setup?

LewisLovesAudio

Feb 4, 2021
Visit site
My current audio setup is DT 1990 Pro w/ SMSL SU-8 and SMSL SP200 for DAC/AMP.
Would you recommend switching over to a balanced headphone, and if so which?
Hifiman Arya has caught my eye, but not sure if there is an alternative headphone that sound much better for around that price-range? I'm also a sucker for aesthetics.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
My current audio setup is DT 1990 Pro w/ SMSL SU-8 and SMSL SP200 for DAC/AMP.

Which version of the SMSL SU-8 do you have? Version 1 had quite a few problems that they have to address with a Version 2 re-release. On version 2, the performance is much improved, with the Balanced performance being more solid than unbalanced.

As for the SP200 that's a solid THX AMP, no need to change that unless you are having problems.

The Hifiman Arya are only rated at 35 ohms, so the SP200 should certainly have no issues with driving them.

Reactions: LewisLovesAudio

LewisLovesAudio

Feb 4, 2021
Visit site
Which version of the SMSL SU-8 do you have? Version 1 had quite a few problems that they have to address with a Version 2 re-release. On version 2, the performance is much improved, with the Balanced performance being more solid than unbalanced.

As for the SP200 that's a solid THX AMP, no need to change that unless you are having problems.

The Hifiman Arya are only rated at 35 ohms, so the SP200 should certainly have no issues with driving them.

I have the V2 SU-8 so I think I'm all good on that front?

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy
D

Deleted member 188533

If you are looking at moving up to Hifiman Arya, or similar level headphones, I would suggest a substantial upgrade to your DAC/headphone amp, if to really hear what they can do.

I have to disagree with you there. The only bad thing about the SP200 is that it needs a lower gain setting. With the THX888 module it competes well against anything. And the SU-8 is a solid DAC.

Would you recommend switching over to a balanced headphone, and if so which?

Balanced / unbalanced doesn't really matter. It depends on the headphone. I just bought a Sundara which should finally be here tomorrow. I was originally considering the Arya, Ananda and Sundara. The Arya has some really good sub bass but some people say the treble is grainy and the mids are recessed. Then it was down to the Sundara and Ananada. I still may get the Ananda if I like the Sundara.

The 1990s are so versatile that swapping pads almost makes them a different headphone. Equal to the 1990 Pro but different the HD660S, K712 Pro and Sundara. What kind of music do you like and how much would your total budget be? A Focal Clear would be a huge upgrade but for way more money. Something closed back with a complementary sound signature would be a ZMF Atticus. Still way more money though.

LewisLovesAudio

Feb 4, 2021
Visit site
I have to disagree with you there. The only bad thing about the SP200 is that it needs a lower gain setting. With the THX888 module it competes well against anything. And the SU-8 is a solid DAC.

Balanced / unbalanced doesn't really matter. It depends on the headphone. I just bought a Sundara which should finally be here tomorrow. I was originally considering the Arya, Ananda and Sundara. The Arya has some really good sub bass but some people say the treble is grainy and the mids are recessed. Then it was down to the Sundara and Ananada. I still may get the Ananda if I like the Sundara.

The 1990s are so versatile that swapping pads almost makes them a different headphone. Equal to the 1990 Pro but different the HD660S, K712 Pro and Sundara. What kind of music do you like and how much would your total budget be? A Focal Clear would be a huge upgrade but for way more money. Something closed back with a complementary sound signature would be a ZMF Atticus. Still way more money though.

Budget isn't really an issue for me, just nothing excessive really. £1,500 would probably be my limit if I was to put a budget there.

As for the pads, that's a modification I've already done as people have said placing Dekoni Elite Hybrids fix the treble on highs for the DT 1990 Pro: it definitely improved the treble.

As for music, Pop and Hip-Hop is all I generally listen to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188533

I have the Elite Velour and they add bass slam and even out the treble spike but they also suck out the mids. I went back to the Analytical pads that I love.

For 1500 pounds? The Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-X or ZMF Atticus or Aeolus. You could even get an Eikon.

The ZMF line has the best bass in the headphone world. Good bass not Beats bass. They'e handmade to order. There are a whole bunch of reviews and comparisons out there so I absolutely suggest you check some out. But with your budget the Clear, LCD-X and ZMF line would be where I'd start looking. All would be upgrades to the 1990 Pro.

Friesiansam

My thoughts are based on my own experience. When I bought my Focal Elegias, upgrading from Shure SRH1540, I was using an Audiolab M-DAC and there was a nice improvement. I was reasonably happy but, it was only when I got the Pathos Converto that the Elegias really came alive and showed what they could do.

YMMV but, I am in no doubt the DAC/amp upgrade was very worthwhile and, that the M-DAC was holding the Focals back.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
I have the V2 SU-8 so I think I'm all good on that front?

You certainly should be fine in that case. No need to change that :)

As for the pads, that's a modification I've already done as people have said placing Dekoni Elite Hybrids fix the treble on highs for the DT 1990 Pro: it definitely improved the treble.

See Zeos Pad swapping adventure for other ideas if you still want to pad swap on the Beyerdynamic DT1990s:

LewisLovesAudio

Feb 4, 2021
Visit site
I have the Elite Velour and they add bass slam and even out the treble spike but they also suck out the mids. I went back to the Analytical pads that I love.

For 1500 pounds? The Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-X or ZMF Atticus or Aeolus. You could even get an Eikon.

The ZMF line has the best bass in the headphone world. Good bass not Beats bass. They'e handmade to order. There are a whole bunch of reviews and comparisons out there so I absolutely suggest you check some out. But with your budget the Clear, LCD-X and ZMF line would be where I'd start looking. All would be upgrades to the 1990 Pro.

Watched a few reviews on the Focal Clear, that's what I'm going for. I care for aesthetics and not only do they have great detail on sound (according to reviews) but they are the best-looking headphone in that price-range. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: Friesiansam
D

Deleted member 188533

There's also a Clear Professional for roughly the same price that's the same headphone except colors and accessories. Either way the Clear is one of the best headphones at any price. Enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts