Advise for a new Hi-Fi system for classic music listening.

Andi-0005

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
Hi,
I'm new here and hope I post in the correct place.

I would like to get some advise for a Hi-Fi system.
I am not an audiophile, but a casual listener. I listen to my mixed CD collection which is mostly from from the 80's and 90's.
I now prefer to listen to classic music and I would like to purchase a system to suit listening to classic music.
I am considering taking a tidal account for the higher quality files and playing from a computer.
I currently play my CD's using a Yamaha CD-C603 with an old Pioneer AV 5.1, it's not so great.
I do not use a record player.

I started looking at Yamaha equipment, the Yamaha A-S501, or possibly a A-S701 or R-N600A. I also looking at other popular brands in a similar price range, but I must limit the budget, that's why I look at a A-S501.
If I was to buy Yamaha A-S501 which speakers would be pair nicely with it for playing classic music so I can hear the details in a real world environment? Budget €200.00 to €400.00
I would use my CD-C603 cd player and later a DAC or other component to play Hi-Res files. Some advise on a DAC would welcome as well.

Thanks

Andi

Last edited:

Andi-0005

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
Hi,
Good point. Thanks.
I prefer to be at the budget end starting at €200.00 for the speakers, but could stretch that a bit. Possibly to €400.00.
The cables costs I haven't considered yet. Not too much, standard equipment I guess.

Andi-0005

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
The room size.
Currently not so big, it's my home office. 4.5m x 3m. In time I will move the system to a typical living room, but "L" shaped to make things tricky. This is around 40 squared meters.

Fandango Andy

Hi,
I'm new here and hope I post in the correct place.

I would like to get some advise for a Hi-Fi system.
I am not an audiophile, but a casual listener. I listen to my mixed CD collection which is mostly from from the 80's and 90's.
I now prefer to listen to classic music and I would like to purchase a system to suit listening to classic music.
I am considering taking a tidal account for the higher quality files and playing from a computer.
I currently play my CD's using a Yamaha CD-C603 with an old Pioneer AV 5.1, it's not so great.
I do not use a record player.

I started looking at Yamaha equipment, the Yamaha A-S501, or possibly a A-S701 or R-N600A. I also looking at other popular brands in a similar price range, but I must limit the budget, that's why I look at a A-S501.
If I was to buy Yamaha A-S501 which speakers would be pair nicely with it for playing classic music so I can hear the details in a real world environment? Budget €200.00 to €400.00
I would use my CD-C603 cd player and later a DAC or other component to play Hi-Res files. Some advise on a DAC would welcome as well.

Thanks

Andi
It's difficult to recommend to people in other countries as prices seem to vary from country to country. Also not sure if your budget is total, or per component.

I personally would go with the longstanding king of Budget Amps Marantz PM6007.

Triangle Borea BR03 or if they are over budget Mission LX2.

Alternatively, what is the second hand market like where you are?

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts