Advice - turntable upgrade

Ris101

May 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm currently running an 8 year old project carbon turntable and upgraded stylus, blue 2m ortofon. It is connected to a rega elex r amp and in general happy with the sound. I'm looking to upgrade to a rega p3 with the standard elys 2 cartridge.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts as to whether this is a decent upgrade and worthwhile. The p3 is already quite pricy and would struggle to justify more, but know I can get more out of my record collection which the amp and speakers will help enable.

Thanks 😊

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day it is your hard earned cash. Why not let your ears do the testing for you. As you already know What Hi Fi highly rate the Rega turntable. How much better the P3 is over your Carbon turntable remains to be seen. Book a demo! Or try get a home loan for a day or two to compare.

I’m not confident that the Elys cartridge is an upgrade over the 2M Blue, and the P3 strikes me as a change, and nice, shiny, new, rather than a big leap forward in engineering terms.

Will your Rega dealer let you bring in your turntable fir a comparison?

Some dealers have used turntables at attractive prices, and here you’d definitely get a big upgrade in performance, and they might px your Pro-ject towards it too.

Where are you based?

Ris101

May 16, 2020
Visit site
I’m not confident that the Elys cartridge is an upgrade over the 2M Blue, and the P3 strikes me as a change, and nice, shiny, new, rather than a big leap forward in engineering terms.

Will your Rega dealer let you bring in your turntable fir a comparison?

Some dealers have used turntables at attractive prices, and here you’d definitely get a big upgrade in performance, and they might px your Pro-ject towards it too.

Where are you based?
Thanks for that. I'm down in Brighton, they have a decent Audio T here, so probably worth asking. Didn't think they would loan turntables

Reactions: nopiano
Rather than the P3 I would be looking at the new Project Debut Pro, similar sort of price and arguably better.
Either that or keep what you have and spend money on a serious cartridge because the apparent upgrade to a P3 might be more of a sideways move.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

It's worth a try but I seriously doubt any dealer would loan out a deck, you'll probably need to audition a the shop.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts