Question Advice Required

mike_a

May 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi
i'm looking to upgrade my Amp from a Pioneer A400x, to perhaps a Rega Brio R or a Cambridge Audio CXA60 or 61. I have a Rega P1 and a set of original floorstanding Mission 752...which i'm very fond of...would i be making a mistake going for either with my current setup? thanks in advance Mike

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think that would be a side ways move, although you should really get one home to demo with your equipment in your room.
If it was me, I would be looking at going up the ladder - eg in Rega terms - the Elex-r or Elicit-r or equivalent around the RRP £1500 - £2000 mark. If you do your research, going 2nd hand would give you even more for your money.
Of course - all budget permitting.

mike_a

May 18, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Jonathan, i'd happily consider that, but in Australia we seem to have a far small second hand market. At least that's how it seems fom my searches so far.
thank you for your suggestion

rainsoothe

I think it would be an upgrade, just not sure how big. But yes, you should try to demo if you buy new at least.

And I'll also second the suggestion of looking for sh stuff. Another forum member re-sparked my memories about the Rotel RA 1062 - so that's what I'll suggest you look for, along with something like a Naim Nait 5i 2 (or italic) or Nait 5si, or Roksan Kandy K2. I remember seeing quite a few items from there on the bay.

D

Deleted member 116933

I think it would be an upgrade, just not sure how big. But yes, you should try to demo if you buy new at least.

And I'll also second the suggestion of looking for sh stuff. Another forum member re-sparked my memories about the Rotel RA 1062 - so that's what I'll suggest you look for, along with something like a Naim Nait 5i 2 (or italic) or Nait 5si, or Roksan Kandy K2. I remember seeing quite a few items from there on the bay.

Early mission with naim hummmmm, wouldn't be a combo id actively seek.

Now Rotel as you say that would work nice.

What went really well with mission back in the day was marantz and NAD oh and yamaha

mike_a

May 18, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your input in trying to match my old speakers with an amp. I'll check used availbility here in Oz.

a couple of people have suggest the Rega elex or Elicit may also be a "fit" but the price moves up considerably

may have to reconsider budget

thanks

Miek

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Over the years I've read many posts from forum members regretting selling kit they really enjoyed, and that includes the Pioneer A400 and the Mission 752's. That's why ideally you must try any replacement in your own home.
I used to use an earlier model of the Rega Brio amp, but for me, there was a big jump in performance when I home demoed the Rega Elex-r. The current Brio may be great for you but only you can say really.
Like me, you seem to have owned your kit for a long time, so let's assume whatever you purchase will be with you again for a long time. Under those circumstances I would rather up my budget (or save a bit longer) and purchase something that is clearly a step up (or two), and something that you will not be itching to replace again anytime soon.
Also, it is worth exploring how a 'better' amp will improve the sound from your 752's.
Home demoing stuff does require a dealer relatively close to you, and of course usually limits you to purchasing new. The alternative is to keep researching (research the various brands/suggestions in this thread) and keep track of any local 2nd hand market. You may find you end up setting your sights on one or two items, and then if you are patient, one may come up. I probably spent nearly two years researching floorstanding speakers and another year tracking Spendors, before managing to get a pair 2nd hand. The wait was worth the effort for me as I will probably keep the D7's a very long time.
Also, I think if you get a 'better' amp (usually but not always, as they get more expensive you get more power (watts) that can drive/control speakers better) it will probably give you more options in the future if you decide to change your speakers too.

mike_a

May 18, 2020
Visit site
thank you for taking the time to reply and offering me you insights JonathanRD.

I'm with you, i have had the kit since new, in OZ that was 1995, and you idea of further investigation and watching second hand site's may enable me to come up with a better combo

thanks again
mike

Reactions: jonathanRD
D

Deleted member 116933

Hm... Had no idea about the weird interaction. Is it with any Naim model? And you sure it wasn't just the Naim item humming?

LOL that too! Naim just doesn't seem to blend well with mission in my experience, not saying its something can't be done but as I say not something id actively seek out, too much of a good thing. Missions have this relentless trait if not paired well.

The early missions paired REALY well with Cyrus, seeing as they were at one point in time the same company. Same balls to the wall sound, though Cyrus being a little light on bass the missions countered that with lashings of it, so kind of equalled each other out. Though it makes for an edge of your seat listen thats for sure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts