Advice Required to Assemble New Hi Fi System

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been out of the Hi Fi scene for a long time but have recently purchased some Monitor Audio Silver RX1 speakers which I am using with a very old Sony Midi system.

A week or so ago I made a post looking for an all in one system to suit the RX1s but have been having a rethink and have decided that it would be better for me to buy separates to give flexibility in the future.

In addition I will be moving in the future and because I like the sound of the RX1s will probably upgrade them to RX6s.

What I need now is some ideas for the best new amplifier and CD player to purchase at say £1200 to £1400.

Looking at other posts Rotels RA1520 and Creeks Evo2 look like being good amps which do you think would be best or other suggestions.

CD players seem to be Rotel RCD1520, Creek Evo 2, NAD C565BEE or Even Cyrus CD6SE2 which I have seen at a good price. Again which would suit the Amp / speaker combination best.

Is the Cyrus reliable? when I looked at the review it did not look as though it was.

A

Anonymous

It'd be handy to know what your room layout is (i.e. is it furnished with soft furnishings or does it have a wooden floor and large windows/glass walls etc...)

Also what music do you generally listen to?

The M/A RX1 and RX6 speakers are superb but dont forget that the RX6's kick out hell of a lot of welly when driven properly so if you've a small room I'd suggest sticking to decent standmount speakers (i.e. The M/A RX2's I had with their 8" main driver could manage to get my house rumbling easy enough)...

For me the best seperates that go with the M/A speakers are Arcam, NAD, Audiolab, Cyrus, Rotel & Roksan. A lot of people seem that think that Cyrus doesnt partner well with the M/A RX range but the 6 and 8XP amps drive the speakers superbly and dont have the nasty/high/bright top end that they used to.

I had a NAD C165BEE pre and C275BEE power amp with my RX6 speakers until I decided to minimise to standmount speakers with a sub and the NAD set-up drove them superbly. A very powerful set-up, built like a tank but superb control over the speakers and with an outstanding soundstage

Similarly the Arcam FMJ A38 (or decent 2nd hand A32) integrated amp with a Rega Apollo/Saturn CDP would be a good set-up also. The Rotel RA1520 amp with the Audiolab 8200 or Cyrus 6SE CDP would be a good system as well.

The thing is with your budget (and if you'll look at 2nd hand seperates) the options could be never ending.

Definitely get some demo's booked but see what's out there on the likes of eBay as well...
smiley-wink.gif

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your advice Hifilover, room size is 28m/2 not a lot of windows, laminate floor.

Music tastes are classical piano and violin, pop is usually something with heavy bass.

BTW you did not mention Creek any thoughts on this?

A

Anonymous

TBH I'm not a massive fan of the Creek amps; they're good but with M/A RX series speakers; I feel that the likes of Arcam, Rotel, NAD and Cyrus drive them better

The Roksan Kandy K2 amp is good as well but I've found it can be a bit brittle at the top end with M/A speakers at times

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Think about going used. My A85, P85 & CD192 cost me just over £800 in total by going 2nd hand. I'm sure you can find some of the older FMJ models if you hunt around.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Not mentioned so far but Exposure 2010s are meant to be a very good pairing but I don't know how they work with MA's.

Sevenoaks/Audio T were offering good deals on A38's and you can often find a few retailers selling or willing to sell ex demo kit.

Would obviously recommend demoing as much as you can, many times frustrating but you usually know whats right for you when you hear it.

Good luck

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,
Just been looking and you can get Naim5i cd and amp ex dem just over you budget, sound great but again I do not know how well they work with your MA's maybe someone can help on that too.
I checked the Exposure and they are well within your price range.

Have fun

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts