Advice please - Speakers for an apartment

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice please

I have recently purchased a Yamaha as 500 amp and marantz 6004 cd player. I am now looking for some new speakers.

I have researched reccomended floorstanding and bookshelf but wondered what the forum thought?

The system is to go in a large ish open plan apartment with wooden flooring does this influence my decision?!

Thanks I'm a relative novice so apologies for any daft questions early on!

matthewpiano

Whatever you buy the key thing is to ensure that you have the means to isolate it properly. I would suggest very good spiked stands for bookshelves, probably sat on something like slate. The last thing you want to do is annoy the neighbours too much. I'd also suggest looking for something which works well at low volumes (your A-S500 amp will help with this because it is pretty good at low volumes and the variable loudness control is very useful).

Take a look at the Mission MX range. When I had an A-S500 I used it with MX1s for a while and it sounded excellent at all volume levels. If you want something bigger either the MX2s or the MX3s might suit you very well. They are the best affordable speakers Mission have made for years.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Whatever you buy the key thing is to ensure that you have the means to isolate it properly. I would suggest very good spiked stands for bookshelves, probably sat on something like slate. The last thing you want to do is annoy the neighbours too much. I'd also suggest looking for something which works well at low volumes (your A-S500 amp will help with this because it is pretty good at low volumes and the variable loudness control is very useful).

Good advice, especially the low volume bit.

My preference would be a set of compact floorstanders which would save on the extra expense of speaker stands for standmounts and be sensitive enough to work better at lower volumes. Unfortunately without a budget to work with (how much do you want to spend), it will be difficult to make any specific recommendations.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for the advice....

Budget of 400 pounds

T

the record spot

See also, if you can get 'em, KEF's IQ5 SE, another compact floorstander that should be apartment friendly.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Bearing in mind your budget, Superfi are currently doing Epos Epic 5 floorstanders at £380 which is a big saving on their original RRP of £750. Not sure they are compact enough for your situation, but worth a listen if you can. Pretty easy to drive (92 dB) so no worries there. Sound pretty good too!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
Bearing in mind your budget, Superfi are currently doing Epos Epic 5 floorstanders at £380 which is a big saving on their original RRP of £750. Not sure they are compact enough for your situation, but worth a listen if you can. Pretty easy to drive (92 dB) so no worries there. Sound pretty good too!

On double checking that price it appears the Cherry finish are going for £379.95, whilst the Black Ash are £679.95.

Thats a huge difference.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
DIB, Thats a really really good find. I'm tempted. Has anyone on this forum got these or tried them? HFC give a good review. On the website they seem to be out of stock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts