Advice please on onlyo TXNR609 &TXNR709

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi all I was looking for a bit of advise I have a denon 1910 which I am thinking of upgrading to a onkyo 609 or 709 I wanted to do this a few months ago but got told was not worth it as would not see any gain so left it I am on holiday reading what hifi and has got me thinking again to change So if I went for the 709 instead of the 609 would I see a big jump in performance ? I mainly use for watching films and conected to pc. Via hdmi which I listen to I tunes on

I don't have it really have it very loud and don't think I will use the streaming settings

I do like the look of the menu system and set up as the denon one is a nightmare

I have Kef egg shape speakers 5.1 they are quite old. It seem to work well I will eventually up grade to there new flat pannel speakers

Thankyou for your help sorry if seems I little all over the place with typing I am typing on my iPhone and won't let me edit anything thanks again

A

Anonymous

Ian,

The big question I have is why you want to change? Is the 1910 really that bad, as it got good reviews when it first came out.

Certainly going from a 1910 to the 609 wouldn't give you a great deal of difference, although not so sure about the 709 either given you don't have it really loud and that you mention upgrading to the flat panel speakers - I'm assuming you mean the new Kefs (T105, 205, 305)? Not sure that these speakers are worthy of the bigger spec amp, but I am sure there are those far more experienced than me on this forum to provide better advice. So, these are my initial thoughts to get the ball rolling (maybe you can provide more on your reasons for change, apart from the Denon menu system)...

Paul.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Paul Thank you for your reply!

To be honest I just fancied a change and the denon menu does my head in and no other reason and I have someone who has expressed a interest in my denon amp so would only cost me 200 ish to upgrade.

I am just confused to how much better it will be? If you read whfi It sayes the denon 1912 is streets ahead of the 1910 and the Onkyo beats that but as i said before a few hi fi dealer tried to put me off it saying it was not much better,but now they say it is better so god knows.

One of the chaps in Sevenoaks said that was not much point getting the 709 if keeping the current speakers or upgrading to the kef T105!

The did have a demo one running with the the T105 running and sounded pretty good but I alwys find that they sound better when I get them home. Any other advice welcome?

A

Anonymous

Ian,

I actually tried the KEF T205 at Sevenoaks Sound & Vision (is this what you meant by ‘Sevenoaks’ or the town?), but preferred the Monitor Audio in my signature below. The KEFs are good, but I found the MA to be better musically so it follows that some excellent movie sound tracks (LOTR) sound brilliant, and I also think you are pay too much for style in the KEFs. Having said that the MA speakers look brilliant also and had I known that the difference between the R90HD and the R180HD price-wise was not much then I would have gone for the R180HD for the centre and fronts. The R180HD comes with a wall bracket that mounts it almost flush with the wall and looks very neat. Also, with the KEFs being so thin I think they only look right with the likes of the slim line Samsung TVs, whereas with your average plasma they would sit back from the TV and this is where the R180HD sits better I think and with superior sound.

See my review and photos here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/new-home-cinema-review

The MA also come in different colours, so for me black was not the colour of choice.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Paul thanks for your advice I do have a Samsung tv so the t105 will look good I would not have the space for same speakers as you I must admit your set up looks really nice!

Girlfriend has bought me a 609 for Christmas but I have made another post saying richer sound have said that if I take it out of the box and try it they will charge me 10% surcharge

A

Anonymous

Ian,

Some comments on your reply:

1. You don't say why you want to return it (I assume to buy the 709?).

2. If you still plan to go for the T105 KEF speakers, what is wrong with the 609?

3. The 609 is a present from your girlfriend you say. I wouldn't dream of returning or even suggest I don't like what my better half has bought me, especially when the 609 is such a great gift and a perfect match for your intended KEF flat speakers!

Keep it and enjoy!

Paul.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Paul thanks for your reply

I am quite lucky with girlfriend and she honestly does not mind me exchanging it or get a refund and put money to speakers if I go down that route

The advice I got on the 709 seems to be with the speakers I have of the T series speakers not worth extra money on 709

I just don't want to waste the money on the 609 if it is not better than Denon! I spoke to richer sounds today and they are happy for me to try and see if I like it without paying surcharge as I have spent a lot of money with them over the years as is always my first port of call if I want anything to do with hi if

Going to plug it in and see how it sounds

A

Anonymous

Okay, good luck.

I'll be interested what you think and if the 609 is any different / better than the Denon.

Paul.

A

Anonymous

OP I think the 609 will be a worthy upgrade to the 1910, as a previous owner of the 1910 & 608, I've heard the 609 and it's much superior. FYI I've heard the T105 right upto the 809 and they sounded awesome, but where piped by the T301s at that point. The big advantaged the KEF T series has over the MA radius is the dispersion of sound due to its tweeter, it makes for a much larger sweet spot. It really comes down to preference, but I've owned the radius 250HD & Apex and I prefer the KEF sound. The 709 would be an even better improvement and the T101's could handle it IMO.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi all thanks for the advice ,

I have decided to keep the Onkyo 609 the sound is different slightly warmer if that makes sense.

Where it does seem a lot better is with watching movies I watched terminator 4 and sounded really good.

Next is the speakers if I can get a good deal on. Them somewhere in the sale if not I will wait a few months

I think I will have to listen to both set T105 and T205 also have look into some, cable management too

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I have found a way around no AirPlay on the 609, which I thought I would share with you would,also be a good solution to someone how has a hard wired speaker dock. It is a app to control your I phone via your iPad works very similar to the apple remote but can control I phone or iPad which ever way around you like and it is called tango remote only £2.99 from the app store

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking around at different speakers now so I think I will properly upgrade to Onkyo 709 as I have not been so happy with music on the 609

doctorrock

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if it's relevant but I bought the 709 as it had pre outs for external power amps which will allowed me to keep my Cyrus 8 as a stereo amp - Richer Sounds have it for £600 at the moment

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Doctorrock I properly would not use pre outs as don't have anything else to plug into them like you. How do you find the sound quality of the 709 and any thing else you can add please

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I went to Richersounds today and had to order a TXNR809 as was out of stock of both and 709 would be 3 weeks pick it up next Sunday I hope it is a worth the extra money!

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I've just upgraded from the Denon AVR-1910 to a Pioneer VSX-LX55. I've kept my existing kef egg speakers. I'm sure, like I have with the Pioneer, you'll find the 809 is noticebly better as I believe they are in a similar price band. Even with the same kef speakers the sound it produces and the way it controls the sound is excellent and far better than my previous amp. I spoke to the chaps a Richer Sounds and was told it's what's inside the amps that makes the difference. The 809 will have higher grade bits inside.

With regards to the 609/709 my brother just got the 609 and it is a very good amp. He uses it with the Boston Accoustic XS speakers. Not sure i'd upgrade from the 1910 to the 609 though as it's a simlar price bracket and unless you're just looking for a newer amp with the latest technology I'd have stuck with the Denon. I think the Denon looks nicer than the 609 too. I really liked the 1910 but I had problems with the HD handshake between amp and bluray player where it completely lost the sound.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Simon

I agree with what you said about the 1910vs the 609 I really do hope you are right about the sound quality of the 809 was only £100 more than 709 so thought it would be worth the extra money fingers crossed

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I got my 809 and it does sound a lot better on films and music, although the first one had to go back as had a fault, but happy now with it but I am still looking at upgrading speakers I am loooking at Dali Fazon, Radius R225, Moniter Audio Apex or B&W FPM4 I know the apex seems to be favourite on here but just seems quite expensive compaired to the others, Got some demo's booked over the next week

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts