Advice please - mini hifi to accompany Mission 733 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was recently lucky enough to be given a pair of Mission 733 speakers (floor standing, 20-100W, 8 Ohms) for free! I've been running them off a dying old amp that does not sound good. So I'm looking to buy a new system.

Now, my requirements for the system include:

- DAB radio

- CD player

- Inputs for other sources (i.e. from PC/Laptop)

- (Optional) wireless streaming from PC, but not simply accessing a PC like a NAS. I'd love to simply, wirelessly stream music from the PC's sound card to the Hifi (and not be forced to use iTunes with AirPlay!). But this is a rare thing is far as I can find!!

I'd like an all-in-one system as I've no desire to fill my room with lots of hifi units, I'd much prefer a compact, but good sounding system.

I've been eyeing up a few systems and would appreciate a little feedback. I'm not sure quite what sort of quality the speakers were in when new, and therefore what sort of system to pair them with...

Option 1: Denon DM38DAB £170

Everyone seems to love this system, the guys at What Hifi have given it a glowing review so it seems like a great choice, but at this price I wonder just how good a sound it could be. I'm no audiophile, but I do appreciate a good sound and like to think I've got a reasonable ear for these things. So my main concern is would it really be good enough? Also, would it struggle to drive the speakers? (It's rated at 30W into 6 ohms)

It does everything that I need from a system, but nothing more... it would be nice to have a few bells and whistles though I'll admit I might not use such things!

Option 2: Teac CRH500 ~£250

This system gets good reviews, but people don't rave about the sound. However, it looks like this is end-of-line and shops are selling the last of their stock. I'm wondering whether this is why the price seems to have been significantly reduced from what it once was. It looks like RRP was upwards of £500, a lot more than the Denons. As a result, I'm wondering whether these reviews have been from people wanting a better sound for the money. Where as at only £250 it produces a good performance for this price. I'm not sure!!! Anyone have much experience between these first two?

Oh, I should probably say that apperance-wise this is a whole lot nicer than the Denon, which I've got to admit is pretty ugly!

This also has the advantage of being able to do about 101 other things including internet radio etc and streaming from a PC etc. However, my main

Option 3: Marantz MCR603 £380

Lastly, we come to the Marantz, this thing just looks beautifull!

This has got plenty of advantages (e.g. Bi-amp to the speakers) as well as being well rated for sound from What Hifi, but is over double the price of the Denon! Does it produce a sound that is that much bigger and richer?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I used to have the 38's predecessor the DM37 and it was a cracking little system for what it is, volume control aside which I gather the 38 has not resolved either.Comparing the Denon to the Marantz there is no comparison really - it is that much better and well worth the extra £200 to provide what you're looking for. It doesn't have wifi, though, but I believe you can buy a wireless adaptor for streaming (others will correct me if I'm wrong) otherwise you can hook it up with a cat cable. Also comes with internet radio, and I know you're not interested in Airplay but there is a free upgrade to this should you change your mind until the end of March I believe.

I used to have the 38's predecessor the DM37 and it was a cracking little system for what it is, volume control aside which I gather the 38 has not resolved either.

Comparing the Denon to the Marantz there is no comparison really - it is that much better and well worth the extra £200 to provide what you're looking for. It doesn't have wifi, though, but I believe you can buy a wireless adaptor for streaming (others will correct me if I'm wrong) otherwise you can hook it up with a cat cable. Also comes with internet radio, and I know you're not interested in Airplay but there is a free upgrade to this should you change your mind until the end of March I believe.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Sizzers, that's aprecaited. Also, I wasn't aware of issues with the Denon volume control stepping before this... hmm...

Has anyone else got a view on the Teac CRH500?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The issue with the Denon volume control is that it is digital and has stupidly wide increments between each step, either too low or too loud. The 603 is digital too (no idea with the Teac) and it is very nicely balanced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts