Advice on wall mounting B&W bookshelf speakers...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Having listened to a pair of 685s I'm considering fixing them in the top corners of my dining room with adjustable brackets. The walls are solid brick (1920's house) with plasterboard on dabs.

I'm also considering the 686's as they are more disreet but they are rear ported & I'm worried about 'boom' issues.

Has anyone done this? Do you think there will be problems due to them being too close to the wall. The room is approximately 11ft x 14ft, solid wood floor and a very discreet echo. All advice most welcome!

A

Anonymous

Mr.JoelSim put his ProAc Tablettes on the wall in his kitchen, and I suspect that they are rear-ported and I don't think he has had too much trouble: As long as the speaker's port is not dead against the wall and there is about 5cm or more space, they should be okay...but you could just get the B&w 685s and get speakers which are much better and not rear-ported...then again bigger speakers demand more space...don't worry about the floor, there shouldn't be too much of a problem...you could always put a rug on the floor (or as I do, the family pet!) to dampen down the reverberations of the room...but it's not worth fretting about in all honesty!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If I was honest the ProAcs don;t sound anywhere near as good wall mounted as when I trialled them in my living room. Having said that they are also less than ideally positioned too with one in the corner and one, not. They're fine and sound decent enough, but given the right locations away from the walls and equidistant from the sweet spot they are much better. I do get a little bass boom but it doesn't bother me too much as they are my entertaining speakers and use them when I'm cooking/outside in the garden rather than when sitting analysing...

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys for your help. The 685s are definitely the way I want to
go...they sound superb, I am aware that many people advise against wall
mounting, however I remember in my younger days I had my system set up
this way and it sounded superb...however technology has changed (and so
has my taste) and I just want to make sure I'm going to get the most
out of them.

Could anyone (especially Clare or Andrew) please recommend a decent set of brackets that will provide the best sound or would I be better off going for a sturdy pair of floorstands for them (one concern of mine is that we have a pair of very mad dog who may knock them over).

Many thanks,

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If you can fit floorstands in then that would be my recommendation 100%, it's not possible in my kitchen. Having said that I'm listening to them now and they sound great on the wall, but I know they would sound better on stands.

I got my wall brackets from eBay, and they don't need screws so it preserves the value of the speakers for when I sell them on in a few years' time, if I sell them. Musical beasts they are!

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts