Advice on new speakers needed

StevieC

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Looking for new standmount speakers up to £300. Anything else I should be looking at apart from Monitor Audio BX2's?

A few points to consider:
1) As it's quite a small room they'll be positioned pretty close to the wall (but not in corners) on a pair of Atacama stands.
2) I like a prominent midrange with nice smooth vocals.
3) I don't like harshness at the top end and I can't stand sibilance.
4) I don't go for a particularly bright lively sound, prefer things a bit more laid back these days (must be my age).
5) I like the bass to be there but not overwhelming.
6) The amp they're going to be connected to is academic as I'm looking to replace that within next 6 months. Probably be looking for advice on that as well soon, roughly same price range.

Obviously I will go out and audition some speakers, just looking for a few pointers in the right direction. Or for that matter anything I should particularly avoid bearing in mind my likes/dislikes above.

Thank you

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
As it is a small romm and the speakers will be close to the walls, try demoing some front ported speakers. Usher S520, Kef q300 & q100 along with the MA you mentioned.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Epos! I had mine for 22 years. Was very satisfied with them. Secondhand, if you can find them: ES11 or ES12. New: Epic 1 or 2. Elan 10.

Good luck!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
StevieC said:
Looking for new standmount speakers up to £300. Anything else I should be looking at apart from Monitor Audio BX2's?

3) I don't like harshness at the top end and I can't stand sibilance.

6) The amp they're going to be connected to is academic as I'm looking to replace that within next 6 months. Probably be looking for advice on that as well soon, roughly same price range.

Obviously I will go out and audition some speakers, just looking for a few pointers in the right direction. Or for that matter anything I should particularly avoid bearing in mind my likes/dislikes above.

Make sure you audition the speakers with the amplifier you're looking to get, as it is important they work well together. In the meantime, you may find number 3 a problem if your current amplifier isn't up to driving your speaker choice properly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts