Advice on upgrading my amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to these forums and I was wondering if anyone could help with some advice on upgrading my amp please. My system currently consists of an Arcam CD37, Audiolab 8000C & P pre and power and B & W CM8's. According to this magazine, the Roksan Kandy K2 is a good match for the CM8's. What do people think and what alternatives should I look at? I mostly listen to pop and rock and have around 2k to spend on any upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Sylea said:
Hi, I'm new to these forums and I was wondering if anyone could help with some advice on upgrading my amp please. My system currently consists of an Arcam CD37, Audiolab 8000C & P pre and power and B & W CM8's. According to this magazine, the Roksan Kandy K2 is a good match for the CM8's. What do people think and what alternatives should I look at? I mostly listen to pop and rock and have around 2k to spend on any upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What's making you want to upgrade? What do you feel you're missing from your current system?

You have a very good system already but I feel that a change in CDP or amps would be a good move as your speakers are very good indeed.

A more punchier pre/power combo such as the NAD C165BEE / C275BEE would give you a more deeper, punchier and detailed soundstage over your Audiolabs which can be a bit clinical at times. The NAD combo would open up the vocals more, smooth out the harshness when it appears but also really open up the lower end providing deep, punchy and superbly timed bass.

A more fluid CDP such as the Cyris 6SE-2 or Rega Saturn would be a good move IMO as well...

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
What's making you want to upgrade? What do you feel you're missing from your current system?

You have a very good system already but I feel that a change in CDP or amps would be a good move as your speakers are very good indeed.

A more punchier pre/power combo such as the NAD C165BEE / C275BEE would give you a more deeper, punchier and detailed soundstage over your Audiolabs which can be a bit clinical at times. The NAD combo would open up the vocals more, smooth out the harshness when it appears but also really open up the lower end providing deep, punchy and superbly timed bass.

A more fluid CDP such as the Cyris 6SE-2 or Rega Saturn would be a good move IMO as well...

I feel that the system is lacking something as it doesn't always fully engage me. I've put this down to the audiolabs because as you say, they can be clinical

A

Anonymous

Sylea said:
hifilover1979 said:

I feel that the system is lacking something as it doesn't always fully engage me. I've put this down to the audiolabs because as you say, they can be clinical

I'd say have a listen to some more punchier/weightier amps then such as the NAD C356BEE, Rotel RA1520, Cyrus 8XP, Leemua Pulse and Creek Evo II and see how you go with those

I'd avoid the Arcam current range as they're unfortunately a bit lifeless; shame really as the Acam FMJ A32 would have been a superb match but can only be bought 2nd hand now (if you can find one that is)!

I do think the NAD pre/power combo I mentioned above would relaly open up the CM8's; I've had that combo with the B&W CM5's and heard it with my parent-in-laws CM7's and some CM9's when I was demoing speakers and the NAD's really controlled the speakers superbly and drove them to their fullest potential IMO

seanntce

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I recently listened to some CM8's back to back with MA RX6's and RX 8's powered by a Rega Bria R amplifier. I prefered the rich mid range of the CM8's and the smoother sound over the MA's and would seriously consider these as a replacement for my Kef IQ9's.

One amp that's intrigued me is the Creek Destiny 2 amplifier (highly regarded by HIFI Choice).

Does anyone know what this combo might sound like as the Rega Brio IMO was very detailed but didn't have the bass weight or warmth that I personally like?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts