Advice on updating set

Jvdp83

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I currently own the following set-up: KEF LS50, Marantz SR 7007, 'normal' AudioQuest cables. For music I mostly use Spotify and am not planning to change that. I am pretty happy with the set, but for the near future I am orientating on possibilities to significantly improve my music quality. Now I am wondering what is should focus on/invest in to make a real significant improvement (e.g another amplifier). I do have my own ideas, but am looking for some experts' advice!

Do you have any recommendations? What should be on my buying list to enjoy my music even more?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Kef Blade could be an option,add a Accuphase E600,that should bring you a good step forward.

Enjoy your system,it´s pretty new,isn´t it?Do you have a sub already?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Why do you use an A/V receiver? Do you use multichannel too or are you strictly two channel music?

Personally I would investigate what it takes to get Spotify Connect into my system.

Jvdp83

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
KEF blade is a good choice! It is however a bit out of my budget reach. The set is pretty new indeed, just two years. I do not have a sub yet; I've taken a look on the KEF r400b, but am not sure if really need the low...

Jvdp83

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I choose the AV two years ago, since I wanted to use it for watching movies and series. I do not use the multichannel, and do not plan to do so in the near future, so I am fine with just two channels... Since I find sound more important for my music than movies/series, maybe I should have chosen another receiver/amplifier? I don't know what would be the difference in quality.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Jvdp83 said:
I choose the AV two years ago, since I wanted to use it for watching movies and series. I do not use the multichannel, and do not plan to do so in the near future, so I am fine with just two channels... Since I find sound more important for my music than movies/series, maybe I should have chosen another receiver/amplifier? I don't know what would be the difference in quality.

Ahh, OK.

The LS50s are capable of very fine results and this tends to put the amplifier driving them under rather a lot of scrutiny. Amplifier limitations that may not be of concern into less demanding speakers, may become issues, so the simple, obvious way forward is to replace the amp with a good stereo amplifier in the £1000 class.

My favourites at this level are the Creek 50a (possibly with onboard dac), the Peachtree Nova (either version) or the Croft integrated. Not the obvious choices I grant you, but to my ears, standout performers for the money. They all offer diferent things in terms of functionality, the Croft is ultra basic, the Creek very flexible with it's plug in modules and the Peachtree just sort of works. None of them offer network facilities though, not sure if that is a problem.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The LS50s deserve a really good amplifier. Personally I love the openess, detail and naturalness of small KEFs and would be looking to maximise this rather than adding a sub.

Kef Blade *bye*

Replacing with a high quality stereo amp things should get better noticeably but significantly,thats personal and subjective.I would wait for Creek Evo 100 and meanwhile try Arcam A39 and a Audiolab Pre/Amp combo.

wanthigherfi

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
This wouldn't be upgrading your set, and you said that you're not planning on switching away from Spotify, but you might want to try Tidal--to my ears it was a substantial upgrade from Spotify.

Jvdp83

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
@ Esra, matthewpiano, davedotco

Thanks for your postst! I really love the the LS 50's indeed! The potential of the speakers already made me doubt about the SR 7007... Some of the brands (peachtree, croft) are new for me, so some new thing to read about :)

I myself was thinking about Naim (e.g unitiqute2). Any ideas or advice on that possibility?

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
@ JvdP83: Is it possible to take your set to a shop and audition some amps and speakers? I've did that and I'm very happy with the result. I'm also from Holland.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts