Advice on surround sound set-up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having bought myself a nice new Sony LED TV a month or so ago, i decided its time to venture into the world of 5.1 surround sound. This I've so far done through the purchase of the Jamo A102 satellite and centre speakers with sub-woofer. I also need something to feed the 5.1 signal from, which is where I need help. I have a Virgin HD box and PS3 which I'd like to take an HDMI signal from. I'd be open to looking for something with integrated DVD but everything I've seen comes with speakers, which I don't need. I'm also reluctant to go for the bulky AV receiver choice, since I'm quite limited on space.

Ideally somebody would be able to point me towards a reasonably priced 5.1 output device with integrated DVD, 2 HDMI inputs (and perhaps something i can dock my ipod with) and with a 'no speaker' option.

I hadn't thought I was asking for much, but having read that back maybe I am!

I hope someone is able to help however, since I've been researching for some 8 months now without any joy.

Many thanks in advance.

Any

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

Have you looked at the new Yamaha receivers, they are good and not too large and look actually quite nice... like the decent 671 for example or the slimline Marantz NR1602 or 1402 or Pioneer slim VSX-S500, otherwsie you may want to look at this instead: Harman Kardon BDS 5.

Not sure how good they are but they are esthetically nice.

good luck

ben

A

Anonymous

Your suggestions thus far all look great, but I am on a smaller budget. Are there any lower price models you would recommend? Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

That's more the thing, but perhaps smaller and with integrated DVD.

As to budget, perhaps midway between those suggested by Alan and XSnTX.

Thanks,

Andy

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andy,

I had a look for you and most integrated receivers with bluray will cost a little bit without the speaker package it comes with. I strongly again suggest you look at the Yamaha, the 671 (Height: 161mm | Width: 435mm | Depth: 363mm) nd get a good sony or panasonic slimline bluray player that are now just 35mm in height. both together its only 190mm clearnace you will need and compared to the first suggested due to price it is not that much higher... and i believe a separate will give you better sound and picture quality.

£379 for the amp + £100 for the player.

Ben

A

Anonymous

On lookIng again I am quite taken with the pioneer and Harman Karden receivers suggested. Does anyone know of similar but with integrated BR/DVD. The Yamaha is just too big I'm afraid.

Thanks for all your help

Andy

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
after looking deeper on google for you, the Pioneer has a lack of reveiws but seems very popular in France, as most reveiws I found are in French and they all seem happy with it. However the HK would be my choice as it would only cost £100 more when you add the player with the pionneer and the HK does have happy people it.

try and demo them both if you can, as it still set you back £500 or £600 for the system and its a lot of money to buy blind in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

I'm going to have a closer look at the HK BDS 5 - hopefully my local Richer Sounds will have it available.

I'l let you know what I eventually opt for but thanks for your help in the meantime.

Andy

A

Anonymous

I've had a look around but can't see anywhere with the HK BDS5 in stock at a reasonable price. Is it likely i'm missing any good stockist from using the standard google search?

A

Anonymous

by way of update I have now measured the gap i have avilable and it is 150mm - too small for the yamaha. I have had a look around for the HK BDS5 but can't find it stocked anywhere. This leaves me with just the Pioneer. Are there any others to choose from does anyone know, or is the pioneer really the only option? Thanks

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
legitum said:
by way of update I have now measured the gap i have avilable and it is 150mm - too small for the yamaha.

Don't forget a lot of these receivers require some head room for ventilation, so a 150mm gap won't accomodate a receiver with a height of 150mm.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If you already have a PS3 you have a perfectly adequate DVD/BR player, no need to look for an integrated solution :)

Apart from the Pioneer VSX500 already mentioned, there are three cheaper options available.

First is the VSX500's little brother - the VSX300, also as was mentioned early in the post, Marantz have a couple of slimline machines on the market, the cheapest of which are the NR1402 and NR1501.

A bit of shopping around should see all 3 available for under £250.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts