Advice on speakers for home use (loud club style speakers for dance music)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya guys and gals - I'm new on here and my knowledge of hi-fi and related subjects is limited to say the least! I thought this woud be a good place to start to get info and advice on a new sound system for my home. I'm into all types of music but mainly dance (house, electro, minimal, techno etc). I've recently been to Ibiza and I was looking at the speakers in the clubs there. As you'll know if you've been (or you can probably imagine anyway), the speakers in clubs such as Space or DC10 are something special! The quality is awsome and the power massages your entire body with every beat :D So I'm wanting something as close as I can get without spending too much to replicate the "club" sound. I noticed as well that the speakers in space (and At "My House" in Leeds) are very strange, they don't appear to have cones and magnets, they're just a square funnel shape with a hole at the back. Can anyone elaberate on those?

I look forward to reading your replys, thanks in advance! :)

A

Anonymous

try this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=220544&doy=15m9

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply mate ;)

That looks like it'll probably be upto the job - and quite cheap as well. What about powering something like that? I'd obviously need an amp right?

At the minute I'm not sure what I'm going to run through these speakers. I could run them through my computer - if I can get away with that? or if I have to, I'd get a half descent cd player.

Sorry - my knowledge is extremely limited so I may need things spelling out for me :)

Cheers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think having an idea of what your budget would be is a first thing you need to sort. Also, we'd need to know the size of the room you will be putting your system in to.

If you want to look at separates then take a look at Ebay for good, decent speakers that usually sell at the fraction of the 'new' price.

Obviously you'll want a good system so make sure the items you look at are in good condition.

I listen to alot of Hed Kandi, Danny Tenaglia, Faithless, Underworld, Massive Attack, MJ Cole, Adam Freeland etc and it is all very bass'y music!

I have found that Nad, Rotel & Arcam are best for amplifiers as would a matching CD Player, for speakers i would reccommend B&W straight away. Brilliant speakers for this type of music.

I currently have an Arcam 9 integrated amp and a set of B&W 602 Series 3 'stand-mount' speakers and believe me, these will 'massage your whole body' as you put it before! The amp is plenty powerful enough and the speakers are very punchy but not OTT with the bass... Just right if you ask me!

There are plenty of Arcam Amps for sale on Ebay as well as B&W speakers. Any amp from Arcam, Alpha 7 upwards is more than enough for your needs. B&W Speakers you'll want to look at are 601 Series 2/3 and 602 Series2/3 or if you want floor standers then take a look at B&W 603's.

Hope this info helps. Let us know what route you take.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your time and knowledge mate! :)

I don't really have a budget set because I have no idea what to buy - there for I have no idea what its gunna cost :) so I haven't really set my-self a budget. As with everything theres always a mile stone price mark where quality makes a big jump so I'd prefer to buy something more into the "quality" side of things rather than deciding that I'm going to get something thats no where near as good just because its a tad cheaper and within the budget I've set my-self. If you know what I mean? :D

The speakers are going to be used in an average sized house. I'd like them to put out really good quality sound and at the same time have some real punch and bang about them. The speaker set up in DC10 in ibiza (best club in the world in my opinion!) has to be experienced to be belived, its emense! I know I'll not be able to afford or recreate that sound exactly, but I want to get as close as I can. The speakers in DC10 are like war cannons exploding in sync around the room! :D

A

Anonymous

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=amp&source=15&SD=Y here mate dont know how much power un want but there is anything from 400w to1600w £99.99 and £229.99 respectively just know this equipment is no rival to hi-fi separates ull get your dico/nightclub sound with no prob and ull be able to blow the cops away with 1600w of power but sound quality is down a different road and its a bit pricey just let us know if u need more advice

A

Anonymous

Been talking to a friend of mine whos got a recording studio at home. He uses KRK RP-8 Rokits which sound very appealing to me. They sound like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. However, they are a tad pricey. The RP-6's are £100 cheaper though which isn't too bad. Can anyone suggest a similar but cheaper alternative to these?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I agree that B&Ws would more than happily replicate a good bass sound, and probably sound a darn sight sweeter than Maplins too

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hell of alot sweeter!!!

I'd rather pay upto £200 for some good, decent 2nd hand B&W 602's or 603s (if youre lucky) rather than on new speakers from Maplins...

A

Anonymous

I have a hunch I know what you're after. I looked at going down the same route a few years ago with a pair of Peavey M1s which were £1000 a pair second hand. That's at 75% off. You need to get yourself over to a DJ store that provides clubbing equipment. It's a different game from hi-fi completely. Though the source material still needs to be good quality so make sure your sound card is really good quality if you're using your PC as the source.

If you want to shake the house this is where you need to look.

http://www.jbsmusic.co.uk/home/

They know everything about PA systems. You'll get good advice and they're very competative on price. I've had various friends from home work there over the years. Ring them up and let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

Ahh! thanks alot Will, thats great advice. :)

I do like the sound of those KRK rp-8 rokits as recommended by my friend but at £400 they're maybe a tad expensive. I think speaking to someone at a shop as you suggested might be the best bet - they can simply make suggestions until I feel I can swallow the price tag :D

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Mate if you can get down to Tunbridge Wells and test them out, they have a nice little showroom with warehouse behind. You'll only know how they sound by trying them out and i know the guys down there love testing kit.

Be careful though. If you really do pick the cheapest in the range they may just sound like that. Check them first and do report back on how they sound. Dying to hear! Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts