Advice on speaker placement in new room

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I am in the fortunate position to build a music room in my garden ,as living in Spain have lots of land and buildings can be put up relatively cheap.
The room will be 5mtrs long by 4mtr wide ,access door will be on one of the short walls and a window will be fitted on the other .The roof will be a composite 9inch insulated sandwich
the roof will be slanted 3.5 mtr high at back and 2.7mtr high at front . I will be installing numerous acoustic panels once speakers are positioned.
My question is which way should I face the speakers ,with there back to the highest wall or to the shortest wall.
Speakers are Acoustic energy AE500,s on AE stands and Kef Meta speakers on Kef stands. Both sets of speakers have a rear port
I look forward to your replies
Thanks

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
I am in the fortunate position to build a music room in my garden ,as living in Spain have lots of land and buildings can be put up relatively cheap.
The room will be 5mtrs long by 4mtr wide ,access door will be on one of the short walls and a window will be fitted on the other .The roof will be a composite 9inch insulated sandwich
the roof will be slanted 3.5 mtr high at back and 2.7mtr high at front . I will be installing numerous acoustic panels once speakers are positioned.
My question is which way should I face the speakers ,with there back to the highest wall or to the shortest wall.
Speakers are Acoustic energy AE500,s on AE stands and Kef Meta speakers on Kef stands. Both sets of speakers have a rear port
Thanks
Speakers is better to be at the small wall.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Speakers is better to be at the small wall.

I don't agree with this at all. Its very possible to get a good layout on both walls. There are many different factors that influence this. There is no BETTER/SHOULD go here and there. There are rules to follow that give good results but experimentation is needed to understand your room and how interacts with sound and this takes time to learn if you don't have measuring equipment. Ie certain rules don't work in certain rooms and or life styles

Thanks

To the Op, as you're building your space from scratch, you have the luxury of designing how you like. There is no hard and fast rule to how to layout a hifi but if it was me and had the luxury of building from scratch and the room wasn't being used for anything other than hifi, I'd design the room around the Cardis rule, this rule literally takes the room out the equation, you hear nothing but the speaker. BUT you need the space to do so.

If you really want to get it right I'd get a design team in that knows about audio. And as your asking a question as fundamentally simple as "where to place a speaker" it's something id splash the cash for. They'd also help you damp the room just right.

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Really appreciate your comments, unfortunately i live in the mountains in southern Spain and there aren't any hifi shops for about 250 miles,so the chances of getting an audio team in is off the charts. I think my concern is whether i would get a better dispersion of sound using the 3.5 mtr wall as a back wall or facing wall for the speakers .I want to use the long walls to allow me to get good separation for the 2 sets of speakers while allowing a good 1mtr from end walls
Thanks for your input

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts