Advice on set

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have an Imac stream music through Airport Express (still analog) to a Cayin A55T tube-amp and Epos ES-11 speakers (MIT Terminator-3 speakercable). The combination is not ideal since the Epos is not suited to a tube-amp, but sounds kind of good and sometimes even very good, and i am very fond of the tube-sound.

Still i would like just a bit more, stronger, low end, and often i don't like the sibilance in voices (s-es). What advice could you give me ?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Would you be happy to have larger speakers? Much larger speakers that you could shove right up against a wall or corner - so they don't intrude into the room more than they have to?

I know what you mean about the valve sound. I wouldn't have my midrange amplified any other way due to the naturalness that valves bring.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I could do with larger speakers maybe, but i only need a bit more low end, and more dynamics. I don't know how new, bigger, Epos like m16i's sound compared to my ES 11's. I mean not only in the bass but also in the mids and highs. Last year i took my speakers to a shop to compare them with Audio Physic Yara. Mine blew them away in all aspects, so i think they are still a good value ?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If larger speakers are on the cards then you could look out for a decent deal on 2nd hand Klipsch Cornwalls. Or even better, but larger: Klipschorns, Altec Model 19's, Electro Voice Sentry III's, Urei 811's, JBL 4335 - or something similar. All of these will work well with your valve amp, can be shoved against the wall or corners and will make your ES-11's sound like small speakers shouting to be heard.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

Shouting, that is a good discription of the sound sometimes. The Epos sound sweet, very musical, image well and draw me into the music but they also sound a bit thin/lack of dynamics with the valve-amp.

They say that a Creek-amp sounds better with them, but then i loose the valve-sound. It is a choice between 2 kinds of sound with no compromise as it seems.

The speakers you list are all very big and horns. I wonder if there is a newer/smaller alternative..

A

Anonymous

From what I understand, valves will give you a sweet midrange, at the expense of clarity, highs and lows.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts