Advice On Room Lighting

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi.

I don't remember seeing anything related to general advice on lighting your pad for home cinema. Where's the best position to put lights to avoid eye strain or is it better to just go for a complete black out, risking kicking the cat whenever I want a cuppa?

Anybody got any experience of using remote controlled dimmer switches?

Ta.

A

Anonymous

I've got a remote + dimmer paid about 50 euro.35 for touch sensitive plate and 15 for 8 button remote.The room is 15'x15' with 6 spots. I love the convenience of it and will probably get one for our bedroom next.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I recently bought one of these and attached it to the back of my TV with one of these - the design means it can be easily removed if I need to. This serves as an effective backlight and really helps to enhance the contrast levels I find (it's only 8W so not too bright). I have it and my other lamps around the room plugged into one of these meaning I can switch the main lights and the backlight on and off from the sofa! So lazy!

A

Anonymous

These are good, http://www.getplc.com/smart/wireless-lighting

R

A

Anonymous

Prof Hat: I love the British school of engineering approach to an alternative of Phillip's Ambilight!!

Hi-Fi Nut: These look just the jobbie - thanks!

I might even combine the two - cheers!

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have the Appolo Light Kit at the back of my LX5090 and it changes colour or you can have it what ever colour you want. They are LEDs and they are very relaxing.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I bought one of these as like the ability to change the colour to suit mood

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-LivingColors-Colour-Changing-Control/dp/B000VI7K4K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1225210451&sr=8-3

A

Anonymous

professorhat:I recently bought one of these and attached it to the back of my TV with one of these - the design means it can be easily removed if I need to. This serves as an effective backlight and really helps to enhance the contrast levels I find (it's only 8W so not too bright). I have it and my other lamps around the room plugged into one of these meaning I can switch the main lights and the backlight on and off from the sofa! So lazy!

Put up a pic of ur set up so we can see the lighting in action :D

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry guys, been one hell of a day, only finished working an hour ago. As promised here are the pics, though I'm not sure they really show the difference on the screen accurately as (a) my camera is pants in the dark and (b) I've had to shrink them loads so I can post them on the site. Anyhoo:
With normal light on:

With no lights:

With backlight:

Lol - just looked at the Preview of this and the blacks look blacker in the photo with no lights at all! I can assure you, in the real world, the picture does look better with the backlight!

Tonestar1

Hi

I have set these up behind my wall mounted sony.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30119408

Blu tack on back of the tv as I didn't want to use the sticky pads that came with it on my TV. They reflect off my matt white walls and give a great glow around the screen. Not only does it prevent eye strain but I feel it really draws you into the picture and gives far more depth. Probably the best pound for pound upgrade I've made. They also look great too.

Two bars along the top and one down each side. (No point on bottom as centre speaker is there). It can cycle trough 7 different colours though I find either the light blue or green give the best results. I also have a Phillips living colour and like it lot but I'm not sure about it helping with TV picture as it would need to be at least a couple of feet behind the tv and mines is wall mounted. Besides the IKEA dioders are half the price. If I knew how to get some pics up on here would post them lol.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I really like the idea of doing this.

Prof, where on the back of your TV is it taped on ? The top or middle ? Is it a case of just avoiding the vents and do you find the tape stays "stuck" with the heat from the TV?

Tonestar, As you have 4 strips does each one have a seperate electical plug? Does the bluetak hold up ok with the heat from the TV?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tonestar1

Hi,

The four strips can be daisy chained together or fed individually from a small transformer approx (8cmx5cmx2cm deep) which in turn leads to the switch (aproximately same size as the tranny but oval). I have that stuck to the wall out of sight behind the tv. The is around a 2m lead from switch to plug.

Blu tac works fine for me. Its out of the way of the vents and tv is LCD so not that much heat given off.

Tonestar1

diy hubs:
Hi

I really like the idea of doing this.

Prof, where on the back of your TV is it taped on ? The top or middle ? Is it a case of just avoiding the vents and do you find the tape stays "stuck" with the heat from the TV?

Tonestar, As you have 4 strips does each one have a seperate electical plug? Does the bluetak hold up ok with the heat from the TV?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi If you do go down the IKEA Dioder route post what you think of them. I've been very impressed with the effect so far and would like to hear other peoples opinions.

A

Anonymous

LED strips are the best option by a mile.

Most efficient, low energy, low heat, and most versitile. Not to mention by far and away the safest. I'd be not too happy at a DIY set up, and anything glass. I know loads of people with an LED set up and they work a treat and can be tweaked at any time.

You can get the kit cheaper if you go for bog standard white, rather than the multi colour one from Ikea. But, colours make all the differenxce as white is a bit harsh (stick with primary colours).

I'm getting one as soon as I am near the store and remember! Total darkness is not great for the eyes, as you will get eye strain looking at one light source like a TV. Soft backlighting will improve eye stress, and help colours.

The led's are also light, making fastening a breeze. It is the only sensible option bar being able to afford custom fit lighting all round!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,
I actually have three lights taped on to mine as well, though find in general one is enough - it's nice to have the option though. I haven't had any issues with heat from the TV, and my Onkyo amp is under there kicking out some nice heat as well so I can't see this being an issue in all but the hottest conditions. Mine are taped at the top and to the sides, but there's no reason why they couldn't be more central, so long as you're not covering any vents:

As you can hopefully see, each light is daisy chained into another so only one plug is required. This plug is hooked into the remote control jobby I mentioned in my original post so they can be turned on and off from the sofa (though not separately obviously). Each light has its own switch though so you can easily switch a couple off if it's too bright for you.
The only thing I would keep in mind about positioning is where others are potentially sitting. For example, one of my armchairs is quite side on to the TV meaning having the backlight on if someone is sitting there blinds them! This doesn't bother me as I mainly bought it for me, not for when friends are round, but others might be less selfish than me when it comes to movie watching!!
Hope this helps,

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for your quick response Prof, and for taking the trouble to take and post another photo. Much appreciated !.

Thanks also to Sap7 for your input.

I'll have a think over weekend which one to go for.

Thanks again all.

TRENDING THREADS