Advice on preventing Plasma image retention or burn in

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Despite my concerns, I am going with plasma as I want a large TV and in sizes above 52", LCD is just too expensive.

Obviously, I am looking forward to watching HD content (from HDTV and Blu Ray) and upscaled DVD content on this glorious TV. But for SD.....

I am going to buy the 60" Pioneer. I noticed that they use grey bars for sidemasking on 4:3 native content. They recommend using the zoom mode to prevent image retention (although it usually looks pretty average). My intention is for the first 100 hours to make sure that I zoom all content to full screen. Thereafter, will I be safe to watch 4:3 material using grey bars (which is supposed to be better than black bars)?

I would really like some advice on this as I am extremely close to pulling the trigger on this set. Also, if I use the top of the line Onkyo reciever to upscale SD tv programming - will that help to make SD TV look more watchable on my Pioneer?

Has anyone who has purchased a recent pioneer plasma who watches 4:3 content in native format experienced any image retention issues?

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
My Dad has a lg 50 plama he has had this model for 3years . He has NO knowledge about the issues you raise.

What i can tell you, he has no screen burn issues. And you might expect to see some its on for long hours.

A

Anonymous

Well, i saw 4270 in store with heavy burn in. Its really a problem, because it was there for few months (I asked salesman), working 16 hrs/day. It displays video (Philips HD promotional), and philips logo was burnt. In all 4 CORNERS! Video does alternate logo in all 4 corners of TV, to prevent burn in... Good news: 4280 was there also, working for 2 months, no signs of burn in. It seems like older Pios had really big issue with that, newer are much better. Just for the record, there was Panny 42pv70, and 80, with zero burn in...

A

Anonymous

I've had a pioneer PDP506XDE since it came out 3 years ago and i have never experienced screen burn, however i have seen temporary screen retention before. To reduce the risk of burn, lower the brightness and contrast levels slightly, and obviously dont leave the screen paused on images with high contrast for long periods of time - even skys tv guide.

A

Anonymous

Plasma screens are most vulnerable to screen burn during their first 100hrs of use which will probably explain why the 4270 display pioneer was damaged. Just be extra careful when using a plasma screen during this period.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
When using a Plasma screen for normal usage (shop floors do not come under this!) Then there sholud be minimal risk of perminant screen retention. I frequently use My XBOX 360 for long periods say on Pro Evo on XBOX LIVE and no problems at all. I even still have My old Panasonic series 5 Plaz in My bedroom which is well over 5 years old and dates well before all this Anti-Burn tech was built into screens, and not a smidgen of retention (nor any dead pixels come to think of it) and thats even with many a time falling asleep to wake some hours later to a static DVD menu.

Just avoid using the awfull DYNAMIC mode which generally is the setting used on a shop floor which may be to blame for the retention that was seen.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

thanks guys..i feel a lot more comfortable about buying the plasma. ÿCheers.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I have the new 42" PZ85 Pany plasma and was worried about all the plasma myths as well...... Absolutely nothing to worry about though. No problems what so ever with image retention/screen burn etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts