Advice On Phono Stage - Again

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of you guys have any experience of the following Phono Stages and more importantly which out of these two would be perceived to be the better Stage:

Musical Fidelity X-LPS V3 or Dino Trichord Mk1

I assume both of these Stages would be a step up from my Goldring PA1 and believe that both of them are a MM and MC stage, allowing flexibility in the future.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got the Trichord and power unit - picked up s/h from a main dealer for about £300 a few months ago. It allows lots of different adjustments underneath, including mm/mc etc, and sounds superb with the RP3-24 and Goldring 1042 that I have with it.

I can't compare it with the other one you mention, as my previous was a "humble" Cambridge Audio 540P.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Dandy

So it would definately be worth a go then for the Dino, my setup is similar to yours from the point of view I have a Rega Planar 3 with a 1042 cartridge.

How would you say the sound has improved from upgrading from your CA?

iceman16

Im using the dino and psu with gyro se and it's good.If you can demo a tom evans microgroove-x or microgroove plus-x give it a go.My local dealer recommend these to me and they are brilliant.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Thanks for the reply Dandy

So it would definately be worth a go then for the Dino, my setup is similar to yours from the point of view I have a Rega Planar 3 with a 1042 cartridge.

How would you say the sound has improved from upgrading from your CA?

First thing noticed was that the line output from the Trichord seemed significantly stronger/louder. I would then say that it produced a fuller, more rounded (richer?) sound with better definition. As I first got it whilst still using the 2200, I noticed that sybillance was greater, but I think this was due to the 2200 (which came s/h with the turntable). That prompted me (after reading the posts on this erstwhile forum) to invest in a 1042, and now all is right with the world :)

That's probably a bad thing financially, as I've really got back into vinyl because of the great sounds that the combination produce. My new vinyl copy of Kate Bush's latest (Director's Cut) has just been delivered by Amazon, and is waiting to be played tonight - ah, happiness!!

Back on topic, I've read posts that say that the Mark 1 Trichord is worth comparing to the Mark 2, as little difference perhaps, so might be worth investigating.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
There was a mint Dino Trichord + PSU going a few days ago on another forum for £299 all in. It did look very tempting, but I'm very happy with my old X-LPS that is a definite step-up in detail and richness of sound from my previous JEC phono stage.

A

Anonymous

Jason - in case you're still pondering

I've got a Trichord Dino Mk 1 and a Mark 2 - and I can tell you a couple of things.

Firstly its a great phono stage (hence I bough two of them) and secondly there isn't much difference (to me) between the sound of Mk1 and mk2. I use one of them (can't remember which) with my Systemdek IIX900 with a Goldring 1042. The only caveat I'll add is that the mk1 I've got was one of the last done before they moved to Mk 2 - not sure if that's significant. What you will find significant is that the secondhand mk1 goes a fair bit cheaper.

If you still haven't decided which to go for I'd definitely recommend the Dino.

TRENDING THREADS