Advice on conecting subwoofer to Arcam Alpha 9 Amp...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm very tempted by a great online deal on the Epos M sub, but never having played with a sub before I'm wondering how it would connect to my Arcam Alpha 9 amp. Any advice?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

High level Speakon Neutrik connector. Although most subs offer both RCA (low level) or Neutrik (high level) connections, the latter are deemed to be better by manufacturers. I've spent a lot of time playing with mine this weekend and probably agree despite initial findings to the contrary at first (don't ask!)

A high level Neutrik cable connects to your amp's speaker binding posts with three wires, one of which is an earth. Two of them will connect to a positive post left and right, and one to ground. The Neutrik connector at the other end goes into the socket on the sub.

To quote Rel:

"The high level input is designed to accept the stereo (two channel) signals from the speaker
terminals of your receiver, integrated amplifier, and basic amplifiers. This has the advantage of
ensuring that your subwoofer receives exactly the same signal as the main speakers, which means
that the character of the bass from the main system is carried forward into the sub-bass"

Setting up and tuning is another matter. I've spent many hours trying to get this right and I'm learning a lot about bass and my room!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I could be wrong but i don't think the Epos M sub can take the Neutrik connector - it does however have both hi level and low level inputs to connect to either your spare speaker outputs or the pre outs on your amplifier.

I have mine on order - should be with me by mid week i hope - i intend to connect using the pre outs but will also try connecting speakers cables to the high level inputs and let you know my findings - have previously read from different manufactures suggesting both ways are the best - guess depends on the sub.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:High level Speakon Neutrik connector. Although most subs offer both RCA (low level) or Neutrik (high level) connections, the latter are deemed to be better by manufacturers. I've spent a lot of time playing with mine this weekend and probably agree despite initial findings to the contrary at first (don't ask!)

A high level Neutrik cable connects to your amp's speaker binding posts with three wires, one of which is an earth. Two of them will connect to a positive post left and right, and one to ground. The Neutrik connector at the other end goes into the socket on the sub.

To quote Rel:

"The high level input is designed to accept the stereo (two channel) signals from the speaker
terminals of your receiver, integrated amplifier, and basic amplifiers. This has the advantage of
ensuring that your subwoofer receives exactly the same signal as the main speakers, which means
that the character of the bass from the main system is carried forward into the sub-bass"

Setting up and tuning is another matter. I've spent many hours trying to get this right and I'm learning a lot about bass and my room!

igglebert i was thinking about your setup and not sure if i am right on this so maybe you can help - if you use the Neutrik connector on your sub you are supplying both a left and right channel bass signal sent to the sub which it will then add together to produce the sound is that right???

If you use just one of the outs on your amp to the LFE in on your sub you are only sending a single channel of information to the sub not both left and right channels are you not?

The Epos M sub allows for both left and right channels to be connected from the speakers outs or pre outs so should be a true stereo signal until its filtered down in to a mono signal for the sub?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
got an email to say my sub has been despatched - i contacted Epos to ask best way to connect to amp and this was their response

"In all cases I recommend the low level input over the high level. Remember to use the left and right channels to the sub, as it will not perform well unless you give it both channels. They are summed into mono inside the sub, but will not mono the signal back to the amplifier."

hope that helps

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I read that the Neutrik will use the left and right to sum and mono the signal. My Quake only has a single LFE RCA input and was designed with the intention of allowing an AV amp to be hooked up as well as a stereo.

REL state very clearly to always choose the high level connection over and above the low level. In the case of the Quake I imagine this is because of the single LFE input. AV amps probably use a single one too, not sure.

I read last night on some other forums that if you connect to the high level you get a good sound but to ensure that you get the "real low stuff then connect the LFE too"
emotion-8.gif
. I tried it for kicks and got the advantage of two volume controls
emotion-7.gif
I think the only benefit I could find was that I seemed to have gained some extra volume control steps, but given that the phase of the two pres was set differently, I'm not surprised people hook both up to get different sound.

I'm back with the high level now because I realised that my LFE test wasn't fair. I'd changed the phase of the input and found 180deg to be louder. When I repeated this with the high level it sounded exaactly the same.

Right, that's it, no more sub tweaking until I buy a new amp. It's wearing me (and my girlfriend) into the ground.

Let us know how you get on matengawhat! Good luck
emotion-7.gif

TRENDING THREADS