Advice On Backing Up A NAS Drive

moriarty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a QNAP TS-210 NAS drive (4TB total / 2TB mirrored) which I'm gradually loading more and more music onto (mostly ripped from my MacBook Pro with XLD in FLAC format).

For peace of mind I would like to have a backup of the NAS contents to store elsewhere.

I'd really appreciate any recommendations for a 2TB portable external hard drive to plug into the NAS once every few weeks, back everything up overnight and then store at my wife's office.

I've been reading through the reviews on Amazon but there seem to be good and bad feedback on virtually every brand & device!

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

moriarty said:
I have a QNAP TS-210 NAS drive (4TB total / 2TB mirrored) which I'm gradually loading more and more music onto (mostly ripped from my MacBook Pro with XLD in FLAC format).

For peace of mind I would like to have a backup of the NAS contents to store elsewhere.

I'd really appreciate any recommendations for a 2TB portable external hard drive to plug into the NAS once every few weeks, back everything up overnight and then store at my wife's office.

I've been reading through the reviews on Amazon but there seem to be good and bad feedback on virtually every brand & device!

Thanks.

If it is only for a backup drive, get the cheapest.

I have a similar backup drive. It lives in a fireproof box wrapped in old clothes under a bed. Is taken out once a month and sychronised. That is all that it gets used for.

All drives from any manufacturer can fail... It is hugely unlikely that both your mirrors AND your backup drive will go at the same time... The only risk I can see is from buglary or fire.

A

Anonymous

AnotherJoe said:
encourage a friend to mirror your system - offsite backup.

Naughty I know - but this is the real world...

I would echo that. And it isn't naughty. So long as your friend doesn't use the music :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My personal experience has beem Seagate and Western Digital drives have been more reliable than the LaCie ones. Trouble is, no doubt there is someone out there who's had the exact opposite experience to me!

As has been said, the chances of you getting a failure of both two of your RAID disks and your backup (this resulting in total data loss) are very, very slim. So just go with one which does the job at a reasonable price - even by buying one of the more reliable brands, you've still got no guarantee that it won't fail.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts