Can I use a NAS drive for storage and back up at the same time?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a MacBook which I backed up onto an Apple Time Capsule. I've only had the Time Capsule for approx 18 months, but its just gone and died on me.

Having looked on some Apple forums it seems to be common for Time Capsules to give up the ghost after this time. Due to this I'm reluctant to buy a new one, so I'm looking for an alternative.

I've recently started streaming my music via my Linn Sneaky DS, so I'm also in the market for a NAS drive to store all of my music. Ideally I'd like to get one NAS drive which will back up my Mac via Time Machine (like the Time Capsule did) as well as storing all of my music (which I would also like to be backed up).

Is it possible to buy a NAS with a single 2 TB hard drive and 'split' the drive so that I have 1TB for storage and the other 1TB for back ups, or would I need to buy a NAS with 2 separate 1 TB hard drives in it to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sam

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
That's rather worrying as I have a TC!

I believe that if you have 'any old' NAS drive you have to run some kind of script on your Mac to unlock time machine and allow back up to a 3rd party NAS - as standard it only allows you to use a TC or a USB connected drive. No idea why. Apple being Apple I suppose.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses guys.

Dan - I don't know how true it is about TCs having a limited life, when mine died I googled the problem and found a lot of forums where people were mentioning theirs had died after the same kind of time as mine did. Sounds like a bit of a hassle getting a standard NAS hooked up to Time Machine - I'll have to look into it further!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts