Advice on an entry-level hifi sound system

maxbrown336

Oct 6, 2024
Visit site
Hello

Im looking to start a hifi speaker set up for my PC at home and had asked Chatgpt this 'Can you show me a sound system with a DAC that can power and run both a good set of bookshelf speakers and a sub'

It recommended me these parts:
Yamaha WXA-50 (Amplifier + DAC): ~$600
KEF Q150 (Bookshelf Speakers): ~$450
SVS SB-1000 Pro (Subwoofer): ~$600

would this be a good setup and all work well together,

I appreciate any help.

Welcome. Just a few thoughts…

May I suggest you ask ChatGPT again and this time explain you want to connect to a computer?

The little Yamaha was good about five years ago, but I’d need convincing it still holds its own. Somebody will be along soon to suggest a Wiim amp/DAC but I know next to nothing about them.

The KEFs are nice and should be reduced significantly as they’ve just been superseded. They aren’t tiny though, so get a tape measure out!

If you really need a sub then you can’t go wrong with SVS. Lots available used to save some $! (Are yours US dollars?)

Reactions: Al ears

maxbrown336

Oct 6, 2024
Visit site
Welcome. Just a few thoughts…

May I suggest you ask ChatGPT again and this time explain you want to connect to a computer?

The little Yamaha was good about five years ago, but I’d need convincing it still holds its own. Somebody will be along soon to suggest a Wiim amp/DAC but I know next to nothing about them.

The KEFs are nice and should be reduced significantly as they’ve just been superseded. They aren’t tiny though, so get a tape measure out!

If you really need a sub then you can’t go wrong with SVS. Lots available used to save some $!
Thanks

someone in another forum said about not using the Yamaha also so I'll look into your suggestion

I do like my deep bass but in not 100% needed, if the speakers have a good low-end built-in, I'm more used to the car audio space and I am new to the home set ups so if all I need is a speaker and maybe a dac ill have to look into what is a good setup for that.

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
I have the Yamaha WXA-50 and WXC-50 and I think they're both great, especially so for streaming. (I've been in audio for 54 year, so I think I get it; but I have no idea why people don't like the WXx-50's.)

Fandango Andy

Hello

Im looking to start a hifi speaker set up for my PC at home and had asked Chatgpt this 'Can you show me a sound system with a DAC that can power and run both a good set of bookshelf speakers and a sub'

It recommended me these parts:
Yamaha WXA-50 (Amplifier + DAC): ~$600
KEF Q150 (Bookshelf Speakers): ~$450
SVS SB-1000 Pro (Subwoofer): ~$600

would this be a good setup and all work well together,

I appreciate any help.
If its for a desktop setup, size may be a factor, I would consider a Mission 778X or NAD D3020 V2.

I have the Yamaha WXA-50 and WXC-50 and I think they're both great, especially so for streaming. (I've been in audio for 54 year, so I think I get it; but I have no idea why people don't like the WXx-50's.)
I’m sure they are; my only reservations are that they don’t seem to have been updated so are less attractive to buy new today. Yamaha UK show them as Discontinued.

maxbrown336

Oct 6, 2024
Visit site
I’m sure they are; my only reservations are that they don’t seem to have been updated so are less attractive to buy new today. Yamaha UK show them as Discontinued.

what amp/dac do you think would be a good fit?

what amp/dac do you think would be a good fit?
To be frank , they aren’t something I pay that much attention to, hence I’d personally prefer the LSXII that I mentioned in post #3, but I’m surprised nobody’s suggested the Wiim - though WHF weren’t blown away with it.

The little NAD D3020v2 mentioned above by @Fandango Andy is very neat too. The Mission they mention is worth checking out as it had a great review…https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/mission-778x

As always with DACs, do check it has the inputs you need!

Reactions: Fandango Andy

skinnypuppy71

For your budget you are in Acoustic energy ae1 active speakers with a wiim ultra streamer territory......I doubt this combo can be beaten for that kind of money......it sounds very very good indeed..I use this as my second system. Absolutely love what it can do....just add in extra for decent speaker stands....it's a must for whatever type of bookshelf speakers you choose to purchase.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts