Advice needed urgently - Quad 909 + CDP 99

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - just back from the dealer with a Quad 909 stereo poweramp and 99 CDP 2 for a home audition. RTM and attempted to hook up via 'Quadlink'. Here's the thing - poweramp remains stubbornly in 'standby' even when CDP2 comes to life (Oh and no music comes out
emotion-1.gif
. RTM again and checked - some discrepancies as follows:

1) The manual shows a stack of components with poweramp at the bottom and 'daisy chain' of Quadlinks going from top socket of the bottom component to bottom socket of the one above. As the cables and sockets are male and female I can't do this - my only alternative is to go from top socket of poweramp to top socket of CDP 2, or bottom socket of poweramp to bottom socket of CDP

2) The remote supplied is different and has less functions than the one shown in the manuals (although undoubtedly a Quad)

Dealer is closed now - so any owners or experts on the Board able to offer advice?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

hum - manual seems to suggest that the poweramp 'wake-up' comes down the Quadlink - although thinking about it that couldn't work as it would limit the poweramp to working only with Quadlink enabled kit.

There are dire warnings in the manual about using RCA connectors direct from a source without a volume control.......?? (It's only on demo - don't want to spoil it)

A

Anonymous

Just had another look at manual and on Quad website to see about the RCA idea. Both the manual and the website show the CD connected to the poweramp *only* by the quadlink??

A

Anonymous

Well Stereophile reviewed the 99CDP by initially connecting directly to a Conrad Johnson power amp, so I think it's possible to do without Quadlink. The CDP has a variable output so by conecting it using RCA this output is used as the volume control.

EDIT Can I add, I don't think this approach is meant to be as good as the Quadlink for sound. Whatever happens, audition it with the Quadlink when you get the right advice on set up.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Iggi - I'll get the protective goggles and fire extinguisher and have a go
emotion-1.gif

Still think it should work via Quadlink, so either I'm being a knumpty or something is awry

A

Anonymous

Haha, have a beer and come back to it in an hour. Maybe you've missed something obvious. It's annoying me because I've set one up before but I can't remember for the life of me what I did and what it looked like. A lot of good I am! Double check the CDP variable output to see if it's at the bottom.

A

Anonymous

Good idea! I'm deeply grumpy now cos having a good listen was the plan for the weekend (and it's sleeting outside and I've got the fire lit and everything.)
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

Well I've got it going with the RCAs using the variable output from the CDP.

Not bad, and it is brand new, so not burnt in or anything, but at least in this config. IMO it's warmer, woolier and less transparent than the Pioneer G-clef AA 9 that it is up against.

I expected the Quad to be appreciably better, so must get the Quadlink working and see if that makes a difference - or perhaps the Pioneer is better than I was expecting.

A

Anonymous

Good luck with it IW. It's a very talented pairing (tripling?) and suits longer term listening. I think that paired with appropriate speakers it sounds very natural.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Iggi - yeah need to spend a good few hours with both systems, Will have to park the mountain bike and reduce the cake intake for a few weeks or I'll find myself stuck to the sofa. Either system sounds much better than the elderly Arcam/Technics they are to replace.

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I run CDP2 and 909 connected by normal RCA type interconnects. I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in the manual (but it's not very obvious) that you can't use quadlink without the Quad 99 preamp, but you can connect the variable output on the CDP2 to the 909 with ordinary interconnects and that will allow you to control the volume via the remote.

Edit - you're right, you can't "wake" the 909 from standby this way - it's either on or off (switch at rear, or if you're like me, it's easier to get at the mains socket and switch/unplug there.)

Edit 2: yup, just checked. Manual says CDP2 to 909 must use RCA interconnects from variable output of CDP2

A

Anonymous

Oh dear!

Thought I wouldn't like the Quad as much as the Pioneer - particularly as the Pioneer was such a revalation compared with the old system and was looking forward to saving myself C.£400. out of the upgrade budget, which might be the start of a new pair of speakers.

However, having got it set up with quality interconnects etc and spending a few hours with it, it is very good! Smooth as silk, transparent, plenty of power and holds on to those woofers allowing no nonsense down there!

Thanks for assortred advice and encouragement!

A

Anonymous

The Quad magic. It's by no stretch the best kit out there but it just sounds so right, especially compared to similarly priced competitors. Great value for money. Enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts