advice needed - sub for music

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
hi all.

I'm looking to buy a subwoofer and have no idea where to start! it will be used 99% for music, and my tastes are mainly dance/electrnic music (Drum&Bass, Techno, Dubstep, electro, some hip-hop, psy-dub), i also listen to the likes of david bowe, the doors, pink floyd, but at lower volumes so the sub not as important for these genres.

The sub needs to able to handle high volumes, and have the ability to create bass that slaps you around the face, i'm not looking for a 'polite' or 'subtle' sound. i dont care so much if a ''bass guitar sounds just like a bass guitar'', as the bass i want to boost is electronically produced, not recorded from an instrument (that make any sense?)

what are the differences between: forward viring Vs downward firing? ported Vs closed box design?

I would like to spend under £400, but as the bass is so importnat in my musical tastes i am prepared to spend more if needs be to achieve the correct end result.

thank you for any help!

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
can anyone explain what are the differences between: forward viring Vs downward firing? ported Vs closed box design? what are the differences in sound?

A

Anonymous

Seeing you are a Basshead you could look up some of the reviews yourself to give you clearer answers to that question!

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
thank you for replies so far.

i have arranged a demo of the b&w asw610 at my local sevenoaks for this tuesday so i'm hoping this will give me a good idea what i can get for my money.

the BK monolith does look impressive, larger than the b&w with a 12'' cone. and more power at 300w, compared to 200w wth the b&w.

does a bigger cone and bigger cabinet mean lower bass? or more powerful bass?

can anyone recomend a dealer of BK for demo purposes?

thank you

daveh75

basshead:

can anyone recomend a dealer of BK for demo purposes?
The BK is only available direct...which is the only downside,But it's well regarded by a few member's on these forums and also if you google it you'll find plenty of user reviews for it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
basshead:
hi all.

I'm looking to buy a subwoofer and have no idea where to start! it will be used 99% for music, and my tastes are mainly dance/electrnic music (Drum&Bass, Techno, Dubstep, electro, some hip-hop, psy-dub), i also listen to the likes of david bowe, the doors, pink floyd, but at lower volumes so the sub not as important for these genres.

The sub needs to able to handle high volumes, and have the ability to create bass that slaps you around the face, i'm not looking for a 'polite' or 'subtle' sound. i dont care so much if a ''bass guitar sounds just like a bass guitar'', as the bass i want to boost is electronically produced, not recorded from an instrument (that make any sense?)

what are the differences between: forward viring Vs downward firing? ported Vs closed box design?

I would like to spend under £400, but as the bass is so importnat in my musical tastes i am prepared to spend more if needs be to achieve the correct end result.

thank you for any help!

Out of interest, what is the rest of your system?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
basshead:
my system is:

laptop > beresford DAC > NAD c320bee > mordaunt short avant 916i

Ok. It is pointless to go for a super powered sub, not that you will get one for your budget, as your amplifier/speakers are not p/a products and you will never get 'gut wrenching' bass with the volume necessary through the rest of the frequency range to duplicate a night club/live reggea gig in your home.

If I was you and I'm not joking here, I'd get a pair of Jamo's D265 in good condition off ebay s/h. Super efficient with a proper bass driver and horn tweeter. They actually sound surprisingly good with awesome drive and well integrated bass, if your room permits the space they need. Add sub later.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
''Ok. It is pointless to go for a super powered sub, not that you will get one for your budget, as your amplifier/speakers are not p/a products and you will never get 'gut wrenching' bass with the volume necessary through the rest of the frequency range to duplicate a night club/live reggea gig in your home.

If I was you and I'm not joking here, I'd get a pair of Jamo's D265 in good condition off ebay s/h. Super efficient with a proper bass driver and horn tweeter. They actually sound surprisingly good with awesome drive and well integrated bass, if your room permits the space they need. Add sub later''

what do you mean by a 'super powered sub'? are you saying i will only get powerful bass with P/A products? i'm slightly confused now. i'm not looking to re-create a night club, just after sub that can pump out sub-40hz frequencies, that are very common is my musical tastes.

thank for the advice so far

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
sorry, another question about this!

the sub will be on a wooden floor, not on carpet, does this make a difference to the forward/downward firing issue?

take the bk monolith for example, available in both options, given the choice which is better suited for placement on a wooden floor?

thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
basshead:
... what do you mean by a 'super powered sub'? are you saying i will only get powerful bass with P/A products? i'm slightly confused now. i'm not looking to re-create a night club, just after sub that can pump out sub-40hz frequencies, that are very common is my musical tastes.

thank for the advice so far

The sub needs to able to handle high volumes, and have the ability
to create bass that slaps you around the face, i'm not looking for a
'polite' or 'subtle' sound. i dont care so much if a ''bass guitar
sounds just like a bass guitar'', as the bass i want to boost is
electronically produced, not recorded from an instrument (that make any
sense?) ...

emotion-40.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts