advice needed on tx-p37x10 after reading some less than positive comments about it...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I should clarify 2 things, john lewis will price match against local stores. Also a lot of shops like amazon etc do not offer a 5 year guarantee and can you imagine if john lewis were forced to price match after making a purchase from them if you found it at cheaper price in the weeks or months after purchasing from them. The whole thing would turn into a debacle and they would get driven out of business. Lets be realistic about this, richer sounds sell it for just under 600.00 when you purchase it in store only, they won't deliver it to you, you will need to go there and pick it up, whereas with john lewis you have the convenience of ordering online and knowing it will be delivered by courier. I appreciate that it's frustrating when sometimes you see things for cheaper elsewhere but you have to put this into context.

A

Anonymous

John Lewis will pricematch with a bricks and mortar shop anywhere in the UK and not just locally. I got mine from JL in Aberdeen and this was pricematched with Sound and Vision in Bolton.

A

Anonymous

It seems to depend on which John Lewis you deal with - and you have to go through your local John Lewis. The leaflet I was sent about pricematching states the 8 mile radius, and my local JL said that Bolton was well out of their radius. I also think those who got a pricematch including the free stand were jolly lucky - I actually got a response back from JL saying that they wouldn't pricematch Richer Sounds because John Lewis were giving away a free stand if you bought from them (so not like for like).

A

Anonymous

You do have to go through your local John Lewis but they should pricematch with any store in the UK as the 8mile radius proviso was stopped.

I agree that as far as the free stand is concerned it seems to depend who you speak to never mind which branch. You can ask for a pricematch without this as the TV can be bought on it's own.

A

Anonymous

Hi I read the response to my post and it prompted me to look into this, I came across this article from the telegraph, here is an excerpt

High street giant John Lewis is changing its 82-year-old promise to beat every other shop in the country on price.

[*]

Google Map: John Lewis store locations and boundaries

[/list]

The
department store group is running a trial under which it will only
match prices of all of its competitors within an eight mile radius of
its stores.

Increasing
competition from independent discount stores and out-of-town retail
outlets means it is now "unviable" for John Lewis to guarantee lower
prices than every single shop in the country, the firm said.

Instead the retailer has split its competitors into two types: independent stores and national chains.

While
it will continue to beat all national chains on price, it will only
match prices at independent stores if those stores are located within
eight miles of one of a John Lewis outlet.

The eight-mile radius is being tried out in a pilot scheme in stores in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/2817915/John-Lewis-changes-Never-Knowingly-Undersold-promise.html

However what i don't know is since this article was written whether it has been rolled out across all stores, it is worth looking into to find out.

A

Anonymous

It was the Aberdeen store which I got a pricematch from and they pricematched with S&V in Bolton so the 8 mile radius pilot scheme is no longer used.

nig_101

May 3, 2008
Visit site
Hey Liz

As mentioned I don't use Eco mode at all, no problems any time of day!

Not long now eh.....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Nige

Nope only a week to go!

So you have all the 'extras' like Ecomode and Overscan turned off?

Would you mind telling me what settings you have? I like Cinema on my Panasonic LCD and wondered whether this would be good on the Plasma as well?

Have you kept the same settings as you had when you first got your tv?

Thanks ever so much for all your help and encouragement. Much appreciated.

Liz

A

Anonymous

Got it at at last!!!! The 37X10 that is.

Arrived earlier than expected but will still not get it installed until next week probably.

Would appreciate advice re settings just to get me started. Will probably use a THX optimiser after a week or so.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and reasurrance in the long road to me finally getting my first Plasma.

Wanna come to my Plasma warming party? Afraid no drink (don't want my nice new Plasma getting drink spilt all over it), smoking or bouncy type dancing allowed but should be fun!

A

Anonymous

Aawww Prof and I wanted you to be guest of honour!

We could have a cyber party?

A

Anonymous

Nige could you do me a huge favour and post the settings you use on your 37X10?

I know we all have to find the settings which suits our environment but it would give me a start as this is the part I hate!

Afraid there has been a delay in getting my TV installed as the sound system I ordered was returned to the retailer without my knowledge!

A

Anonymous

Aw cheers Prof. I need a drink. Cheers! Erm do you come here often?

A

Anonymous

Oh Nige where are you? You have abandoned me in my hour of need as I would really appreciate the settings you have on your 37X10 please?

Could any other owners tell me the settings they have? Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts