advice needed on tx-p37x10 after reading some less than positive comments about it...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nig_101

May 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi newbie

Yep, its a telly for all occasions! We've watched it at all times of day & night so far including sunny days and as I keep saying we're still amazed at the picture. We've watched all sorts of standard def via Sky+ & Freeview (most of our viewing is SD) plus a couple of DVDs & Blu-Rays via the PS3 - fantastic all round
emotion-2.gif
. As with everything, if the quality of the broadcast is poor (ie an old TV film or series - the wife loves old Agatha Christie films!) then nothing is going to make them look like a brand new wildlife series shot in HD & broadcast on SD, but thats the same on an old CRT, this brilliant Panny TV or a top of the line £2k++ TV. We've no regrets getting it whatsoever.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for getting back to me Nige. It is alluring in the showrooms to see the bright lcds, and the plasma does look a little muted by comparison. But I know people rave about the blacks of plasmas and the natural colours (and I've certainly seen some lcds looking somewhat unnatural), and it's really good to hear that the x10 delivers the goods so well in a home environment!

A

Anonymous

Hi nig_101

I am going to get the 37X10 in a few weeks time (hooray!) and wondered whether you would be kind enough to let me know what settings you have yours on?
I know it has Eco Mode which I thought would be handy for adjusting the brightness according to the light of the room but have read that some folk think this should be turned off for the first 200 hours. Are they being overcautious?

Also, do I turn overscan off or on for SD?

Thanks a lot!

Liz

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I can't answer your other question i'm afraid i know some people use cinema & warm settings.

Overscan should be switched ON, if it's left off the picture will sometimes not fill the screen & you will get black bars on the sides or top.

On for SD, Off for blu-ray.

A

Anonymous

slewis:I can't answer your other question i'm afraid i know some people use cinema & warm settings.

Overscan should be switched ON, if it's left off the picture will sometimes not fill the screen & you will get black bars on the sides or top.

On for SD, Off for blu-ray.

I have seen someone (on another forum) complain that the image is too large if overscan is off? Is this the case?

A

Anonymous

Have discovered this isn't a problem. Think the person was being too fussy!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Yeah you do lose a tiny amount around the edges with overscan switched on, but personally i prefer it that way than having a picture that doesn't fill the screen.
I think your right in thinking that the person is being overly fussy.

A

Anonymous

I'm with you in that I would prefer to have the image fill the screen.

I take it that an upscaling DVD Player would still have overscan on and that it would only be off or Blu Ray and 'true' HD?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I presume it would be the same for dvd as for blu-ray, TBH sometimes i forget to switch off overscan when watching blu-ray & the picture is fine.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it just zooms in on the picture slightly.

A

Anonymous

Someone else has now said that having overscan on makes the picture less sharp?!

Take it this is rubbish?

A

Anonymous

tvnewbie:Remarkably the review site that put me off have now also reviewed the 50" version of the tele, and seem to prefer it than the 37" - brighter and even sharper picture so they say. I find it amazing that a 50" could have sharper images than a 37", but who knows? A couple of people have reviewed the 37" on amazon now, and seem very happy with it. Think I'll take the plunge. Hope you finally get your tele too Scotsgirl...

Well my online friend's friend finally got the 42X10 and I am glad to say it is as good as the 42PX80!

So go get the 37X10 tvnewbie. I am!

A

Anonymous

I am SO close to getting the 37X10 but have been put off (yet again!) by a few folk telling me that reflections will be a big problem since I am used to LCD. In fact, one person told me that the anti-reflection on this TV is rubbish (that's the polite version)!

My TV is side on to the window and I will draw the curtains during daytime viewing.

So will reflections really be a problem? I don't want to end up on telly like I did with my CRT.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

nig_101:
Hi Liz

No problems with reflections, we've now watched a few films on it including Blu-Ray and also the Grand Prix, rugby, cricket etc - still amazing us with the quality of the picture and also no problems with fast moving images. We looked at yesterday's Grand Prix both on freeview and through Sky SD, fantastic
emotion-2.gif

Nige

Nige I just re-read the thread and see you already answered my query so thanks!

Don't know why the folk I have spoken to think there is a problem then?

A

Anonymous

Scotsgirl:tvnewbie:Remarkably the review site that put me off have now also reviewed the 50" version of the tele, and seem to prefer it than the 37" - brighter and even sharper picture so they say. I find it amazing that a 50" could have sharper images than a 37", but who knows? A couple of people have reviewed the 37" on amazon now, and seem very happy with it. Think I'll take the plunge. Hope you finally get your tele too Scotsgirl...

Well my online friend's friend finally got the 42X10 and I am glad to say it is as good as the 42PX80!

Only "as good as"?
Not better?

A

Anonymous

Wiktor:
Scotsgirl:tvnewbie:Remarkably the review site that put me off have now also reviewed the 50" version of the tele, and seem to prefer it than the 37" - brighter and even sharper picture so they say. I find it amazing that a 50" could have sharper images than a 37", but who knows? A couple of people have reviewed the 37" on amazon now, and seem very happy with it. Think I'll take the plunge. Hope you finally get your tele too Scotsgirl...

Only "as good as"?
Not better?

Well they couldn't view the TVs side by side so hard to tell. The sound is better.

nig_101

May 3, 2008
Visit site
Hey Liz, you got your new toy yet?
emotion-5.gif
No idea why some people seem to have such a downer on this set, but for all those that love something there will always be those that don't and want to share their views with the world! On the subject of overscan, I much prefer it off, thats just my opinion - its not 'rubbish' or otherwise, just preference. I do think the picture is slightly better off, whether its Sky SD or films - overscan does increase the image size, some will like it some won't. As I mentioned on another thread here, I started with it on, then after a few weeks switched it off and preferred the image, still do. All you can do is play with the settings yourself and see which you prefer - there is no wrong or right answer, despite some people insisting that it should be on/off for certain types of viewing and saying that you'll get black bars if its off - I haven't seen any at all and have watched loads of different types of TV/DVDs/BluRays since it being off. Whatever looks good to you is the right setting. I know its a big purchase but at the end of the day its a good TV, so hopefully you'll like it
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Nige

I am glad to say that I have ordered my 37X10 and will be receiving it the week beginning 11th May.
I got a pricematch for £569 from John Lewis and got an Alphason stand worth £100 as well so really chuffed.

I had cold feet for so long that I had frostbite!lol

So I decided to just go for it and, thanks to you, I am really looking forward to it. As you rightly say I will just need to find out which settings suit me best.
Have you had yours for over 200 hours now and, if so, have you changed the settings at all?

Thanks ever so much for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

Liz

PS How do you get smilies in your message?

A

Anonymous

PS

Nige do you use Ecomode? I watch TV during the day and in the evening so wondered whether this is useful?

Liz

nig_101

May 3, 2008
Visit site
Hey Liz

We've used it for well over the 200 hours now, although I have no idea where the 'run your plasma for 200 hours before you do anything' came from - maybe it was true for plasmas in the early days but there is nothing in the manual about it! I've played with lots of settings (probably all of them by now to a greater or lesser extent!) hence now living with overscan off. We did try the eco mode for a while, as the room darkened towards dusk etc so did the picture, so after a bit of playing on/off/on/off we switched it off again! I'm sure it would save some pennies in the long run if we left it on, but we didn't like the duller image. As with all the settings you have to play with them to see which you prefer. As for smilies, when you reply to a post there is a formatting bar including
emotion-4.gif

Counting the days yet?

A

Anonymous

Scotsgirl I have been reading this forum for quite a while with interest and like you finally took the plunge on Wednesday. I also got my TV from John Lewis which I thought I had a bargain price of £649 which included the stand and a 5 year warranty. I then read your post and the wind was taken out of my sails, which store did you get John Lewis to price match and I'll see if I can get some money back.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

http://www.flattelly.co.uk/shop/panasonic-txp37x10-plasma-digital-100hz-ready-p-3780.html

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?page=Product&sku=386582&camp_id=ppc_tvcamp__TX-P37X10#_E&gclid=CIeZ1azGm5oCFYVM5QodTjoABw&source_id=aw

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001TUYUT2/300003015-21/?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

A

Anonymous

Hampy:
Scotsgirl I have been reading this forum for quite a while with interest and like you finally took the plunge on Wednesday. I also got my TV from John Lewis which I thought I had a bargain price of £649 which included the stand and a 5 year warranty. I then read your post and the wind was taken out of my sails, which store did you get John Lewis to price match and I'll see if I can get some money back.

Thanks

I got my price match with Sound and Vision, Bolton. I think you can get it even cheaper if you price match with Richer Sounds (£529) but the problem is getting one of their stores which has this TV in stock.

If you do find a store at a cheaper price within 28 days (I think)JL will refund you the difference so good luck!

What do you think of the TV?

A

Anonymous

nig_101:
Hey Liz

We've used it for well over the 200 hours now, although I have no idea where the 'run your plasma for 200 hours before you do anything' came from - maybe it was true for plasmas in the early days but there is nothing in the manual about it! I've played with lots of settings (probably all of them by now to a greater or lesser extent!) hence now living with overscan off. We did try the eco mode for a while, as the room darkened towards dusk etc so did the picture, so after a bit of playing on/off/on/off we switched it off again! I'm sure it would save some pennies in the long run if we left it on, but we didn't like the duller image. As with all the settings you have to play with them to see which you prefer. As for smilies, when you reply to a post there is a formatting bar including
emotion-4.gif

Counting the days yet?

Hi Nige

There seems to be some debate as to whether Plasmas need a 'running in' period.

As you say it will be case of trying the settings and see which suits best. Re Ecomode do you find this is okay switched off for daytime viewing?

I still can't get these flipping smilies! I found the format bar but can only select one and then post?

Yes I am looking forward to getting my shiny new Plasma and not long now.

Cheers

Liz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts