Advice needed from serious newbie

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - i'm really not sure what to go for a Home Cinema or a Receiver - any advice would be really appreciated

Sony DAV-SA30 DVD players and 5.1 Surround sound and speakers Home Cinema system

PS3 Blueray / media system (HDMI and optical) output

LCD Full HD 1080i LG TV (HDMI /Scart (HDMI and optical) output

Topfield 5800 Hard drive recorder - not HD (Scart and optical) output

The Sony DAV-SA30 has recently starting crackling and also plays really poor sound quality on DVDs , stangely CDs are ok - i presume something on the board has gone - the crackling is heard in all speakers - ive checked speaker connections and they all seem fine - presuming the dvd amplifier is shot away - i think i have a choice - tell me if i'm wrong

1 - purchase a replacement Home Cinema System - if this is the case looking at my HDMI and optical outputs what setup and system would you recommend?

2 - i purchase a receiver only - then i assume my 6 sony speakers - each 44 watts and woofer 80 watts used with it

Am i missing any thing?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Budget £100 to £300

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You won't be able to use the Sony's sub with a new A/V receiver as the Sony's sub is passive (runs from an amp in the body of the SA30 like the rest of the speakers), whereas 'proper' subs have their own in-built amplification and just require a signal to work.

The surround speakers themselves should work in theory, but they're far from ideal.

In your position with your budget I think I'd be trying to track down a Sony BDV-E370 to replace your knackered SA30.

Play.com has them for £280

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Or you can get it from Richer Sounds for £250. Just be aware though, that it doesn't have any HDMI inputs, so you'll have to run sound through it from the PS3 etc, using other inputs. Shouldn't be too much of a problem however.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
rob_981:Or you can get it from Richer Sounds for £250.

Nice spot Rob. I'll tell my In-laws. They're looking to trade up from an old DAV-SC6.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts