Question Advice for speakers

Valery

Mar 7, 2022
Visit site
Hello all! What speakers (for about 2000 €) you think will match with Technics SU-G700M2? I am thinking about Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G or Wharfedale Evo 4.4. I would like to know what you guys think about that. I mostly listen hard rock and blues. Does anyone have any other speakers suggestions and recommendations?

Hello all! What speakers (for about 2000 €) you think will match with Technics SU-G700M2? I am thinking about Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G or Wharfedale Evo 4.4. I would like to know what you guys think about that. I mostly listen hard rock and blues. Does anyone have any other speakers suggestions and recommendations?
Welcome! What have you currently, and what have you heard in the past that you like?

Valery

Mar 7, 2022
Visit site
Welcome! What have you currently, and what have you heard in the past that you like?
My currentlys sistem is kind of old and cheap. Technics - amplifier A 800MK2. speakers SB CS75 and Philips CD player. I am sure that I want to buy the new SU-G700M2 and SL-G700 Technics CD player. I am just wondering wich speakers will do the best job. Thank you!

My currentlys sistem is kind of old and cheap. Technics - amplifier A 800MK2. speakers SB CS75 and Philips CD player. I am sure that I want to buy the new SU-G700M2 and SL-G700 Technics CD player. I am just wondering wich speakers will do the best job. Thank you!
Well, to be blunt, you need to go and listen! That’s because there isn’t a ‘best’ but there are dozens of fine designs to consider for your budget. Have a careful think about where they will go in your room, what sound appeals to you, how they look, the finish, etc.

You’ve mentioned MA and Wharfedale, which present their sound quite differently, and using different technologies too. I would also look at KEF, ATC, Sonus faber, ProAc, Spendor, Dali and any that your Technics dealer suggests.

Valery

Mar 7, 2022
Visit site
Well, to be blunt, you need to go and listen! That’s because there isn’t a ‘best’ but there are dozens of fine designs to consider for your budget. Have a careful think about where they will go in your room, what sound appeals to you, how they look, the finish, etc.

You’ve mentioned MA and Wharfedale, which present their sound quite differently, and using different technologies too. I would also look at KEF, ATC, Sonus faber, ProAc, Spendor, Dali and any that your Technics dealer suggests.
Thank you very much for your advice.

Bruzli

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
They say to definitely invest more in speakers than in the amplification.
For me in that price range there is Focal and Triangle, though I would favour Focal for TV, movies.
Also have a look at EISA awards on floorstanders in the last years.

They say to definitely invest more in speakers than in the amplification.
For me in that price range there is Focal and Triangle, though I would favour Focal for TV, movies.
Also have a look at EISA awards on floorstanders in the last years.
To be fair, it is a tricky balance deciphering whether a speaker is too good for a amp. The only way to know for sure is for the OP to demo as many as possible.

Exactly 😁
Kind of the 'experts', also the dealers.
If a dealer says spend more on speakers than the amplifier as a rule, I’d consider avoiding them.

There are no hard and fast rules, but one thing is for certain, the amplifier and speakers you’re looking at need to be auditioned as a pairing - NEVER buy an amp/speaker combo based on hearing both at different times in different locations.

The speakers need to suit not only your ears, but also your room. If the speakers don’t work well in your room, it doesn’t matter what amplifier you put on the front of them.

You can have suggestions thrown at you all day/week on a forum, but if they’re not available for you to try locally, they’re best left off the audition list. Choosing the wrong components will just have you on the upgrade path after a few weeks/months.

Bruzli

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
Then it looks forums and other people experience dooesn't help much. If the end advice is to go listen, then forum is just for fun and photos.

Then it looks forums and other people experience dooesn't help much. If the end advice is to go listen, then forum is just for fun and photos.
You can consider everything you read, and with time and care build up a picture of what speakers might suit, and what might not. But there’s never any substitute for hearing for yourself, as you’d know if you heard what many folks listen to at home, or saw how they set it up! (As I did thirty years ago during over a decade of part-time working at a Hifi store)

Forums aren’t too bad on the whole, as they’re mainly populated by more “old school”enthusiasts who don’t do the Facebook thing so aren’t members of hundreds of Facebook audio groups. More people post on Facebook groups than forums nowadays as many have migrated. Many people are heavily influenced by what they see/read, and most of the information they give is based on what they’ve read, which becomes a viscious circle when it circulates in the same place. Most of their recommendations are the products they own - how they ended up with those products most likely nothing to do with any serious listening or system/room matching, probably available on a deal or it was the cheapest option. Some recommendations I see just makes me wonder how their mind works, and who‘s information they’re repeating. It’s sometimes blatantly obvious there’s zero real world experience on what they’re commenting on. Too many people are biased against certain manufacturers, and way too biased towards others.

If people spent more of their time at dealers listening for themselves than listening to people online, they’d probably be happier, and end up with better systems, as long as they visit a decent dealer.

thekenc

Mar 17, 2022
Visit site
I too am dabbling with a potential speaker purchase in the future, and really want to get a listen to the JBL HDI-1600's. They're in your price range and I've found JBL to be fantastic, but I have an older generation of that bookshelf style speaker.

I'm curious to hear what you come up with. For me, I have learned much about stereo advancements recently and have inserted a Loxjie D-30 DAC between my blue ray/CD player and reciever with great results. I have also added a Rega Planar 3 turntable with a Rega Exact cartridge to my system and it has rendered a system where CD and LP audio quality are now equal.

AJM1981

If a dealer says spend more on speakers than the amplifier as a rule, I’d consider avoiding them.

There are no hard and fast rules, but one thing is for certain, the amplifier and speakers you’re looking at need to be auditioned as a pairing - NEVER buy an amp/speaker combo based on hearing both at different times in different locations.

The speakers need to suit not only your ears, but also your room. If the speakers don’t work well in your room, it doesn’t matter what amplifier you put on the front of them.

You can have suggestions thrown at you all day/week on a forum, but if they’re not available for you to try locally, they’re best left off the audition list. Choosing the wrong components will just have you on the upgrade path after a few weeks/months.

I agree. Altough there is a little stretch when it comes to room matching.

The amp is indeed as important as the speakers. I got my Yamaha wxa-50 amp after comparing a lot of reviews about different amps and their sound. But I also wanted a modern compact amp. Not some huge box with 10 connection possibilities for which two are eventually used. I already owned one before. And last / not least; since I have a 3 way speaker, It is useful to have an amp to be able to control those sections and not just bass and treble. If it were for troubleshooting purposes only. Handy for when there would be signs of a broken midrange driver.

That is one approach, there are plenty.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts