Advice for new cinema and music system

Unifex

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I am moving to a new house soon and would like to upgrade my system for home cinema and wireless audio/video streaming. I use Netflix / Sky but would like to stream from my Mac via Airplay if possible. I don't possess any physical media (almost all my music is FLAC) so don't require a BR drive. My current setup is over 15 years old - Marantz PM66SE and KEF Q35 floorstanders biwired with cable Talk Talk 3.1. The living room is 6 x 3.5 m with wooden floors. The system would be firing across the short axis, down one side of the room.

My budget is around £1500, to include a 40” or greater LED TV. At that price, I don't think 4K is viable but would consider stretching. I would like to keep the speakers if appropriate but would look to replace the Marantz with a home cinema amp. I'm not that fussed about 5.1 and was thinking about adding a centre / sub to the floorstanders. I think I would like the AV reciever to be the hub of my home network and maybe add multiroom at a later date. Keeping the remotes down to a manageable number would also be good!

I have been out of the hifi game for over a decade (as you can tell from my system :) ) and would value some sage advice. Cheers!

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Unifex said:
I am moving to a new house soon and would like to upgrade my system for home cinema and wireless audio/video streaming. I use Netflix / Sky but would like to stream from my Mac via Airplay if possible. I don't possess any physical media (almost all my music is FLAC) so don't require a BR drive. My current setup is over 15 years old - Marantz PM66SE and KEF Q35 floorstanders biwired with cable Talk Talk 3.1. The living room is 6 x 3.5 m with wooden floors. The system would be firing across the short axis, down one side of the room.

My budget is around £1500, to include a 40” or greater LED TV. At that price, I don't think 4K is viable but would consider stretching. I would like to keep the speakers if appropriate but would look to replace the Marantz with a home cinema amp. I'm not that fussed about 5.1 and was thinking about adding a centre / sub to the floorstanders. I think I would like the AV reciever to be the hub of my home network and maybe add multiroom at a later date. Keeping the remotes down to a manageable number would also be good!

I have been out of the hifi game for over a decade (as you can tell from my system :) ) and would value some sage advice. Cheers!
as you are used to the marantz sound id suggest one of the out going models if you have no interest in4k,sr 5009 or 6009 this will cover all your needs and can be had for good prices,http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/marantz_sr6009.shtml?gclid=COjNn7SPgckCFWgOwwodRjYPsA as for tv take a look at the recomended ones on this site,and try and see in a shop.

Don't worry about 4K at this point of time. Fully compatible 4K TVs will start arriving in 2016 after HDR standards are finalised. Full HD TVs can be had at bargain prices today.

I agree with Marantz AVR suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts