Advice for a novice

clivesmith_uk

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a Visaton speaker kit which has mid-range and tweeter. They are rated at 30W (80W max), 8Ohm, and with a response range of 80-22,000Hz, so need to be paired to a sub-woofer for the full range. As I'm new to HiFi, I didn't think this would be an issue, but I can't find an Amp that drives 3 sets of speakers. Is this just a home cinema set-up for TV, or can I get a proper Amp and CD player to go with these? If so, can someone please recommend a fairly decent amp/ CD player (sub £1,000?)?

The recommended sub-woofer says that it doesn't include an amplification module. What is this? Do I need one? If so, what should I buy?

I'm very confused.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Never been a fan of white, too bland for my liking. Black is ok as long as it's a gig t-shirt, natural woods is more type of thing.

Hope that that helps! ;)

:wave:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Its a common forum problem esp. for new members, best to copy it before posting and then if lost, just paste on below. Try again on here rather than a new post.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
clivesmith_uk said:
I recently bought a Visaton speaker kit which has mid-range and tweeter. They are rated at 30W (80W max), 8Ohm, and with a response range of 80-22,000Hz, so need to be paired to a sub-woofer for the full range. As I'm new to HiFi, I didn't think this would be an issue, but I can't find an Amp that drives 3 sets of speakers. Is this just a home cinema set-up for TV, or can I get a proper Amp and CD player to go with these? If so, can someone please recommend a fairly decent amp/ CD player (sub £1,000?)?

The recommended sub-woofer says that it doesn't include an amplification module. What is this? Do I need one? If so, what should I buy?

I'm very confused.

To address the subwoofer question first, most subwoofers are active designs, i.e. the subwoofer's cabinet contains its own amplification and volume control. In this case the subwoofer can either be fed out of the amp's speaker terminals (in which case you need to select the "high level" input option on the subwoofer's rear panel) or out of a special subwoofer terminal. For instance the left-hand amp below has a "loop" output, which is in effect connected straight to its line-level inputs (where the CD's signal goes into the amp). So the subwoofer is taking its feed more or less directly from the CD player's output.

But you can also buy passive subwoofers, which contain no amplification, and it sounds as though that's what you've been recommended. The problem you'll have here is that you need some way to control the subwoofer's volume, i.e. a separate amp.

:cheers:

Matt

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
What have you actually bought?

You said a speaker 'kit' with mid-range and tweeter which is a bit confusing.

Why did you buy this rather than speakers with a wider frequency range?

clivesmith_uk

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
These speakers hang on the wall like pictures. They are 500x500x40mm and supposedly have excellent mid-high sound properties, but need to be paired with a sub-woofer due to the frequency response range. The responses are limited by the volume of the cabinets.

Maybe specifying it as a mid-range is incrorrect.

clivesmith_uk

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks matt, I think I understand what you say. So I need to find a seperate amp for the sub-woofer, and effectively connect to the same input as the CD. I will be making the sub-woofer cabinet myself

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
clivesmith_uk said:
Thanks matt, I think I understand what you say. So I need to find a seperate amp for the sub-woofer, and effectively connect to the same input as the CD. I will be making the sub-woofer cabinet myself

I see, so you're going to build a passive sub. In that case, yes, you'll need separate amplification for it. Of course, some amplifiers have two sets of speaker terminals, however this won't work for you because you'll need a separate volume control for the sub and the upper/mid speaker, otherwise you won't be able to regulate the balance between the two.

The point about connecting a sub more or less directly through to the amp's line-level inputs related to active subs; this won't work for you.

Good luck!

Matt

clivesmith_uk

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I spoke to Visaton today, and they recommend a BK Electronics Active Sub Base panel, which I guess sorts out the passive side of things. It's just finding an Amp now that has a sub-out connector - is this the loop you suggested?

I have learnt a bit over the last couple of days, but I think there is a lot more to learn yet :grin:

clivesmith_uk

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I spoke to Visaton today, and they recommend a BK Electronics Active Sub Base panel, which I guess sorts out the passive side of things. It's just finding an Amp now that has a sub-out connector - is this the loop you suggested?

I have learnt a bit over the last couple of days, but I think there is a lot more to learn yet :grin:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
clivesmith_uk said:

If you're using a BK sub bass panel, you'll have the option of low-level or high-level inputs. So you don't necessarily need an amp with a sub-out or loop. You might find this useful:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57579269-47/how-to-hook-up-a-subwoofer-to-a-stereo-system/

Matt

clivesmith_uk

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Interesting - thanks. I'm getting quite excited now. I'm fortunate that I am in a position to purchase an amp that fits the bill, and see a few that have a seperate sub-woofer output, or 'pre-amp' out such as the Denon PMA720AE.

clivesmith_uk

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Marantz don't supply a dedicated sub-woofer out, or sub-amp out on this munit, otherwise it would be my choice. However, Cambridge Audio, Denon and Yamaha do on Amp's below £440. Comments on here have put me off the Yamaha, so my preference now is a Cambridge Audio Azure 651A (£440) with a Cambridge Audio Azure 351C CD player (to keep the overall price down a bit), or the 651C if the wife allows.

TRENDING THREADS