Advice for a home cinema newbie...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I am new to the idea of home cinema (sounds a bit grand - I just want better sound when watching a film!)

I have Sky HD and a Sony Bluray Player BDP-S360.

I want to do this for a realistic minimum of cost, and would like things to be unobtrusive. I also do not have a huge amount of space to fit an amplifier in - I have about 15cm height in the cabinet. That also makes ventilation an issue if the amp runs hot.

I also don't want to have to turn on another box just to watch TV - how does that work when it looks like the norm is to connect via HDMI?

I don't need the FM radio bit, or any ability to play music through it, this is basically better sound when watching filme, ideally both on SKY and Bluray.

Is there any issue being close to the rear speakers? I assume getting the levels right would make it not really an issue?

I am between Manchester and Preston, and would rather go to a shop.

So, that's a fair bit of requirements, and not much budget!

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Paul.

A

Anonymous

TBH I hadn't really thought of sound bars, but give my lack of space and desire for lack of clutter, that may be a good way forwards. Just looking at a couple of pics I wondered if they would make much difference as they don't look like they will have much bottom end, but some seem to have a sub with them.

I hadn't really thought of a budget either, Rather than numbers I was thinking entry-level...

Thanks for the suggestion.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

According to the Richer Sounds website, it has one

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion, it is definitely worth looking at. I just feel uncomfortable buying another Bluray. I know the numbers make sense, it just feels wrong IYSWIM!

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Try buying a hifi amp say NAD and a couple of bigish speakers say B&W. It will sound miles better than the sound from the TV.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

cattytown said:

confused.gif
I have no idea what that means, sorry.

What happened to using words?
smile.png

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
According to the Richer Sounds website, it has one

That's alright then, I'd plug the optical from the SkyHD into the all-in-one and the HDMI from SkyHD straight into the TV in that case. Assuming of course you can get the all-in-one to function without automatically switching the TV to it's input, which would be irritating.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
angelface may be onto something.

There's nothing to say you can't just get a stereo amp and a pair of speakers and run your TV through that instead*. It'll sound much better than the TV's speakers. It won't give you surround, but it'll also sound better with music than a soundbar or cheap HCIAB.

*If your TV doesn't have analogue outputs, you'll need a DAC, but they can be diddy and quite cheap.

A

Anonymous

The best place for the TV in the room does not fit well with bulky stereo speakers either side. If it did I would simply plug into my cyrus 2 and castle severns...

it might be worth an experiment moving the TV into the fireplace next time we want to watc a film and see how it goe!

I'm not easy to help, ami i?

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Prof, that may just be the solution for me. It is looking like quite a few suppliers seem to be dropping them now though :-( Full surround may be nice, but nout sure about all the extra involved just now.

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Looking for stockists of the Q-TV I was directo Comet where I saw the Sony HT-AS5 - any thoughts on that?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

It will definitely be more powerful, and probably better sounding, but....

You could save your self £30 buying the BDVE280 from Richer Sounds, and also get £20 - £30 selling your 360 too, so financially, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Also, you could get a 5 year warranty from Richer Sounds for an extra £20 for the BDVE280, which would be refundable after 5 years if you didn't use it.

Also, Comet are not in particularly good financial shape, with many thinking they may go out of business within the next 12 months, so if something goes wrong with it, where would you be?

If you want it, try another retailer.

http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog/Sony_HTAS5_5.1ch_1000watts_3d_signal_FM_Am_tuner_3_x_HDMI_Rear_wireless_ready_speakers__optional__Ht-AS5.html

Not recommending them, but reviews seem ok.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

cattytown said:
Looking for stockists of the Q-TV I was directo Comet where I saw the Sony HT-AS5 - any thoughts on that?

Good spec, good reviews, probably better sounding, definitely louder.

Can be bought for less http://www.wheresells.co.uk/sony-ht-as5.html?k=99583&a=8169938092&s=ga&gclid=CM6Ixdj_uK0CFUUPfAodYFhsmg

Sony HT-AS5 £219.00

Sony BDVE280 £219.90 (with 5 year warranty and with free Harry Potter films)

If you sold the films and your existing Blu Ray player, you could get £50-£60, possibly more, so BDVE would cost you £160-£170 with an excellent, refundable 5 year warranty.

For reasons I can't go in to, I personally wouldn't buy from Comet at this present time.

Decision is yours

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts