Advice for a budget system for classical music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

As I don't have almost any experience with separate hi-fi systems I need some advice for my problem. I would like to buy something to listen classical music. Mu budget is around £400 - 500 and the room where I will listen is 20 sqm (4*5). My dilemma is what to choose, a Denon M37 or a system made from separate amplifier and cd player. I saw that Cambridge and Marantz are availble at these money and I wonder which system is more suitable for classical music? Also, the same question regarding the speakers. Do you have any other recommandations?

Thank you,

Doru

John Duncan

The Cambridge and Marantz are terrific, and I'd add NAD to the equation, primarily because they're available from either Richer Sounds or Superfi in package deals with speakers thrown in - all three amp and cd player combos will give you the dynamics you need, just be careful to match them with a sympathetic speaker which doesn't make a violin sound like a cheese grater with those particular setups (not mentioning any names Monitor Audio) - I found the Tannoy F1 particularly nice classical, but there are plenty others, like the Diamond 9.1, which is still cracking.

A

Anonymous

I think the advice to go to Richer Sounds is very good. They always appear to have package deals on the go for What HiFi 5 star products at the budget you have in mind. The staff have a reputation for being friendly and helpful, and of course, you can audition the stuff and decide for yourself.

You can check the reviews on this site, then go to the Richer web site and look at their product lists. Note the section for recommended separates packages.

T

the record spot

If you're based in the UK Doru and anywhere near north London, a trip to Harrow Audio might be worth a hit on your Oyster card; they're currently doing the entry level Marantz amp and CD player (the 4001 and 5001) for £249.00 combined.

Alternatively Richer Sounds have many branches in many cities so worth giving them a go. NAD, Cambridge and Marantz at this price point are very strong and don't write off Tangent either; a Danish company who put out some nice low key and understated, but generally, very well reviewed equipment.

A

Anonymous

Hi Doru,

For speakers I can recommend Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. They are excellent for stereo imaging. They work together excellently - quite a lot of speakers at this price range sound like two separate speakers.

Guy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts