Question Advice about new speakers cables

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

Oxfordian, you have upset no one here sir. Cable threads are always the same, believers vs disbelievers, and nothing will ever change that, they are always heated.

It's your money so it's your choice sir (y) The only advice I can give you is that if you find a cable that sounds better than any other you have heard I suggest you keep that information to yourself :)

This is a cable thread......... :)
do not attempt to divert.....

Merely expanding on what was said about loudspeakers.

If as much time and effort was spent discussing subwoofers as is the case with cables then there would be many more users who would experience long term satisfaction with their system/s which incorporate effectively aligned, calibrated and dialled in subwoofers then the short term gratification that can be offered by cables.

Tinman1952

If you believe I'm naive that's fine with me, however, please don't just quote the piece that supports your theory; there was personal supporting evidence in the next sentence you chose to ignore completely, as such you have taken my words out of context... have you ever worked as a journalist?
Er…I don’t have a ‘theory’. I was commenting on your specific suggestion that manufacturers would provide ancilliaries that gave the ‘best’ sound. I did not take your words out of context at all…
Your ‘personal supporting evidence’ was that your mains cables ‘fit’ all the equipment you have owned….well hardly surprising!
Do you not agree that manufacturers build to a budget?
Do you think that the more expensive models in a manufacturer's range don’t allow for sound improvements with higher cost components?

abacus

As per usual no conclusion/agreement just like all the other cable threads over the decades, so this will be my final post to this thread.

Cables have 3 components, resistance, Inductance & capacitance all of which should be a low as possible, there is no magic, no matter what Hi-Fi cable manufactures try and make you believe.

Comparing cables to electronic components is nonsense as cables are passive and electronics are active.

Take apart these fancy cables and you will find apart from the sleeve the cables inside are off the shelf products that can be picked up relatively cheaply from electronic/electrical wholesalers, the bumf on the Hi-Fi cables manufactures website is just marketing, in addition many of the advantages they make about their cables are actually irrelevant to audio frequency’s, however it does look technical, but as anyone with basic electronic/electrical engineering background knows, it is just a con.

As I mentioned in a previous post there have been plenty of level matched double blind tests done that prove that providing the cables are of good quality there is no difference between them, (Do a google search) I remember many years ago a comparison was done between a high end speaker cable and metal coat hangers strung together and none of the Golden eared Hi-Fi enthusiasts (Who claimed differences between good quality cable was obvious) could identify which was which.

These threads may seem a bit monotonous but newbies are always coming into the Hi-Fi world, so all sides of the argument are always worth explaining.

Always try your equipment combination before you buy to see if it suits what you require, as if you don’t you will be trying every magic potion out there to try and get it to sound better, rather than listening to the music.

Have fun

Bill

Gray

Cables is clearly a touchy subject and I apologise if I have upset anyone but if I believe that one source component is different than another then I can believe that one cable is different to another.
As Doug rightly said, you've upset nobody.
We will be interested to hear of your findings with your cables.
I've said this before but...
I've got absolutely no doubt that some people actually hear things that I can't - and no doubt that some people have vivid imaginations. (Some magazine reviews of cables (and accessories) are truly ludicrous).

Gray

I remember many years ago a comparison was done between a high end speaker cable and metal coat hangers strung together and none of the Golden eared Hi-Fi enthusiasts (Who claimed differences between good quality cable was obvious) could identify which was which.
Imagine the end of the review when all those smug golden ears were comparing notes, with all the fancy adjectives they use to describe sound quality....then someone shows them the coat hangers they'd been listening to :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Imagine the end of the review when all those smug golden ears were comparing notes, with all the fancy adjectives they use to describe sound quality....then someone shows them the coat hangers they'd been listening to :ROFLMAO:

Ah but which coat hangers were made of silver infused copper and which were just plain coated copper and which were a bog standard coat hanger?

Just saying ;)

Reactions: Gray

idc

I have a thread on another forum about testing cables and components. It is, as of now, sitting at 14,606 posts over 974 pages. Testing hifi and applying science to sound quality and what makes and difference and what does not and what is better is :eek: hard work!

It is why I have hardly changed anything in my setup over the past decade. It is not worth stressing over cables and testing has pretty much proved that the biggest difference by far is with speakers (whether full sized or headphones) and so long as the amp can cope with your speakers, which most can, unless you try and run a concert hall PA on a headphone amp, you are good to go. I learned the hard way to enjoy the music, even if the source is a transistor radio for a bit of background at work.

Ironically, I use some original Q-Audio interconnects, which were about $250 new. They were sent to me by Q-Audio as a free gift, by way of thanks for all the work I had done. They sound no different to the Silver High Breeds I bought as flavour of the month cables, or the ones I made after teaching myself to solder and buying various bits off ebay.

24986830137_7afd24ff26_c.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts