Question Advice about new speakers cables

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
I am waiting for my new Focal Aria 906 speakers to arrive, My amp is the Rotel A11 Tribute. Is there anyone that can advice me about how much to spend in new speaker cables or make any suggestions what to buy ? I am looking for a decent 2x2m cable set.
Thank you.

D

Deleted member 116933

Have a word with the boys at future shop. Or find a good dealer and see if you can borrow a run or 2 and see what hear. It will just turn rotten here and on many forums pretty quickly.

You don’t need to spend big though. I use linn k 20 at a 5er a meter. And it’s sound pretty good on many a system.

My old cables are really cheap...!!!

Fwiw, we use, recommend and sell two types of speaker cables.

1) Basic 79 strand
2) Basic 500 strand

Here some pics -

79 strand s cable on kinki studio ex-m1+ amp.jpg
Basic 79 strand speaker cables

500 strand s cables audionet watt 2.jpg
Basic 500 strand speaker cables

500 strand s cables audionet watt 1.jpg
Basic 500 strand speaker cables

The second and third pics. are of the top of an Audionet Watt integrated amplifier @ a RRP of £13k. If these basic speaker cables are good enough for the WATT then I feel they'll also be more than good enough for the Rotel A11 Tribute amplifier.

D

Deleted member 160668

Two suggestions for you:

I use Tellurium Q Black II which is very good.

Someone above has mentioned Van Damme HiFi. This is good cable and inexpensive. I have unused 2.5m professionally Banana plug terminated runs of this in a drawer. Shameless plug, but if you are in UK I'd sell you it for peanuts. Send me a PM if int.

insider9

Two suggestions for you:

I use Tellurium Q Black II which is very good.

Someone above has mentioned Van Damme HiFi. This is good cable and inexpensive. I have unused 2.5m professionally Banana plug terminated runs of this in a drawer. Shameless plug, but if you are in UK I'd sell you it for peanuts. Send me a PM if int.
If I didn't buy a guitar today I might have been interested. But I'm glad I did. She's older than me 😁

AJM1981

I have an old pair of silver cables that make no difference in sound vs copper. The only thing I hate about copper wire is its ability to break down to copper 'hairs'. So for workable purposes I prefer silver over copper.

Gray

I have an old pair of silver cables that make no difference in sound vs copper. The only thing I hate about copper wire is its ability to break down to copper 'hairs'. So for workable purposes I prefer silver over copper.
...but once cables are (properly) terminated with plugs or spades, stray strands and oxidisation are never an issue.

rainsoothe

Posts #3 and #4 above exemplify the diverse opinions on the subject of cables :), polar opposites.

I'd suggest you do a genuine blind test dkontos.
See if YOU can hear a difference. If you can't, the price of your current cables is completely irrelevant.
+1 to this. Depending on the system, I do think they make a noticeable difference, but I also think you don't have to spend a fortune, the Van Damme Blue 2.5 is a great suggestion, but you could also go for the 4mm variant. Van den Hul Clearwater are also great, and Audioquest, Atlas, Tellurium Q and Chord should also be on your list.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Oxfordian

Getting cables for my system is going to be a nightmare, I have no idea what to get, the contrasting views and opinions on this thread is great but not making things any clearer.

I guess I am just going to have to go with my instincts and aim for some well made cables without breaking the bank.

Gray

Getting cables for my system is going to be a nightmare, I have no idea what to get, the contrasting views and opinions on this thread is great but not making things any clearer.

I guess I am just going to have to go with my instincts and aim for some well made cables without breaking the bank.
It doesn't have to be a nightmare.
As stated, low resistance, oxygen free copper is all you need.
Van Damme 2.5mm is OK, but if you can stretch to the 4mm version, it will have (slightly) lower resistance.
You can buy it off the reel and easily terminate it yourself (just make sure the cable entry on the plugs / spades is big enough if you go for thicker cable).

Getting cables for my system is going to be a nightmare.

Ref my previous post picture 3. £1 interconnect, standard mains and basic 500 strand speaker cables in use with Audionet’s WATT integrated amplifier at a RRP of £13k and ATC curved SCM40’s @ £3990. If these cables are good enough for a £13k amplifier and £4K loudspeakers then I feel they’ll also be more the good enough for components such as Hegel’s H95, Arcam Alpha 8, KEF Q35, etc. as listed in your signature.

Last edited:

AJM1981

Doesn't your bare silver wire tarnish (worse than copper oxidises)?

Tarnished silver is more conductive than copper oxide and easier to remove.

Take into account that I am not a cable fanatic and I don't have any serious objections against both types, I use them both. I also prefer cheap cables over the more expensive, no matter the price of the set.

In case I would do a lot of temporary setups I would go for any cable and bananaplugs and in bare wire for silver. For permanent setups any bare wire connection is fine to me.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts