Adding power amp to Rotel RA-04SE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have the Rotel and Diamond 9.1's, however I'm thinking of upgrading to something like the MA RX2's and wonder if the Rotel on it's own is going to be up to driving them to the best of their abilities, so wondered about adding a power amp to the Rotel?

Does anyone have any views or heard this combo?

Cheers,

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Steve,

I haven't heard this combo but the RX2's are particulary efficient so your rotel should have no problem powering them. What source are you using as it maybe worth upagrading that before considering power amps?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

It's an integrated amp, so adding more power won't be particularly easy. If it's got a stereo line out, then yes, you'd be able to pair it with some power amps.

However, if you're looking for more oomph, I have a better method. Usually, the power supplies in integrated amps are the bare minimum. In my Cambridge Audio amp, it had a pair of very small capacitors feeding the amplifiers. I replaced them with ones 3 times the value and can now push it past 3 oclock, with no ill effect.

If you're good with a soldering iron, have a look inside, and see what value the biggest capacitors are.

Gib Steve:

Hi all,

I have the Rotel and Diamond 9.1's, however I'm thinking of upgrading to something like the MA RX2's and wonder if the Rotel on it's own is going to be up to driving them to the best of their abilities, so wondered about adding a power amp to the Rotel?

Does anyone have any views or heard this combo?

Cheers,

Steve.

Rotel, by their very nature, are powerful amps. Your RA-04SE will drive the RX-2's with aplomb, but Monitor Audio and Rotel are not traditionally good team-mates, albeit the newer MA's are more "amp friendly" than the outgoing Silver range. On that note, the best match for Rotel is B&W and KEF.

As regards using a power amp, the sonic results are different. If you bi-amp you hear a tighter, detailed bass, and due to the current being purer, clarity noticeably improves. Rotel, like Arcam, produce some of the best power amp combos for the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts