Adding external vu meters

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
chebby said:
It's the flickering embers in the corner of the cave, 1970s style.

Indeed. Valve amps especially.

Not sure that they were terribly popular in the 1970s during the heyday of the Japanese 'racks' and music-centres. Here in the 1970s everyone was ripping out old fireplaces and replacing them with radiators. New houses had no fireplaces to rip out.

With no open fires men had nothing in the home to 'control' (anyone can set a thermostat), so the multi-gadgeted hi-fis with tone controls/equalizers, VU meters and tape type selection, Dolby B & C, level controls, tracking force, bias/anti-skate, pitch control, tuning scales, signal-strength meters etc. were a godsend.

(Barbecues also started catching on in the UK as they were 'elemental' and got right down to that hunter, meat provider, 'maker of fire' thing that some men really get off on.)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Vladimir said:
chebby said:
It's the flickering embers in the corner of the cave, 1970s style.

Indeed. Valve amps especially.

Not sure that they were terribly popular in the 1970s during the heyday of the Japanese 'racks' and music-centres. Here in the 1970s everyone was ripping out old fireplaces and replacing them with radiators. New houses had no fireplaces to rip out.

With no open fires men had nothing in the home to 'control' (anyone can set a thermostat), so the multi-gadgeted hi-fis with tone controls/equalizers, VU meters and tape type selection, Dolby B & C, level controls, tracking force, bias/anti-skate, pitch control, tuning scales, signal-strength meters etc. were a godsend.

(Barbecues also started catching on in the UK as they were 'elemental' and got right down to that hunter, meat provider, 'maker of fire' thing that some men really get off on.)

This is documentary worthy material. *biggrin* Brilliant!

I used to stack a lot of gear, but those nutter days are over. I now keep one amp at a time. No tuner, no cassette, no stacks of CDPs... Trying to keep it sane without hoarding too much stuff in the cave.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
To find something that gives me visual pleasure in the dark. IAM thinking of a Android auto enabled pioneer car cd player. I could import an amp case from China, and mount this in the front after getting it CNC machined . I could use the pioneer as a cd player. And I can enable the EQ or show up the vu meters app to get the visuals. Any idea how a car cd player sounds in a hifi setup. Sadly all the car heads-up units I could find only have RCA out , and no optical out. So I will have to live with its internal dac. I presently don't have a cd player. Would this be a acceptable solution, or is the sound quality not worth it at all. Thanks

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
IAM thinking of a pioneer AVH-2330 NEX, which is a double din head-up unit with touch screen and Android auto. I could get it to sit flush in the amp case for a neat and acceptable look. But my doubt is regarding the sound quality.

I must be sounding nuts right now :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Technical pro BLUE ICE series has amps with VU meters that glow distinctly in the dark.

technical-pro-blue-ice-5000.jpg

Example this Z-5000

They even make a entertainment center with large fireplace display.

There are companies that specialize in affordable puberty and midlife crisys electronics. Won't cost you nearly as much as vinyl setup.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Haha...midlife crisis it is...just have to look for a cd player with vu meters or display. As I just bought a amp. And probably will not change it for the next few years atleast. Maybe a graphic Equalizer might help if you can suggest a good one :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Haha...midlife crisis it is...just have to look for a cd player with vu meters or display. As I just bought a amp. And probably will not change it for the next few years atleast. Maybe a graphic Equalizer might help if you can suggest a good one :)

Looks like it's time for a turntable.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
newlash09 said:

Perpetuum Ebner I believe. Sort of a pro/hi-end Dual.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:
newlash09 said:

Perpetuum Ebner I believe. Sort of a pro/hi-end Dual.

1479074408799.gif

It's the Perpetuum Financial BlackHole 9000i.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't get meters if you have any autistic tendencies , I had some in a McIntosh integrated amp many years ago but kept wondering why one always seemed to be moving further than the other, nearly drove me to distraction! You will also stare at them for hours.......

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That was helpful. Iam indeed one of those guys who would get worried if both the meters moved differently :)

Iam not considering vinyl for the moment. Not sure if I could find enough records to justify the investment. Iam presently veening towards the pioneer car player. But will keep it for next year, need to save some money now :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts