Adding CD player to setup

AudioPhil

Apr 1, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone, currently I have the following

Turntable: AT-LP-120XUSB
Speaker System: Edifier R1000T4 [Active]

I would at some point like to add a basic CD player to the setup. Which is the best way forward? Can I add a CD player plus switch and continue using my active speakers or would I be better getting a CD Amp and passive speakers?

It may be a simple/stupid question but I'm fairly new to this so be gentle
:)

Any hardware recommendations gratefully received

Gray

Which is the best way forward? Can I add a CD player plus switch and continue using my active speakers or would I be better getting a CD Amp and passive speakers?
You can do it either way Phil, say which you prefer.
Separate amp / passive speakers would give you more options for better sound quality (at a price).
But you may like and prefer to keep using your actives.

AudioPhil

Apr 1, 2021
Visit site
You can do it either way Phil, say which you prefer.
Separate amp / passive speakers would give you more options for better sound quality (at a price).
But you may like and prefer to keep using yours.
Definitely prefer the separate amp / passive speakers route, just need some pointers as to which amps to go for. Quite happy to go second hand just need to know what to look out for.

Reactions: Gray

AudioPhil

Apr 1, 2021
Visit site
To help people with recommendations:
Do you want standmount or floorstanders speakers?
How big is your room?
Do you want any other sources, such as a streamer?
What type of sound do you like?
It's only a small room and I'm currently using bookshelf speakers which are fine. Just really looking for a CD player, nothing else, but thought it may be better to run through the same speakers as my turntable, don't really fancy a boombox or similar.

Gray

Start by going into your current speakers then (you can go for separates any time in the future).
If you've got a DVD player, you could use that to play CDs. Otherwise a CDP and simple switchbox (and one more twin RCA lead) is all you need - a stereo, 2 input, 1 output RCA switcher.
(TT and CDP to the inputs, output to Edifiers).

AudioPhil

Apr 1, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the help, the shops reopen [hopefully] next week. There's a hifi shop and some second hand shops in town I'll see what they've got :)

Reactions: Gray

filipplord

Mar 16, 2021
Visit site
I see that your speakers have an aux and a pc input, so that makes it 2 inputs, as long as you add your CD player to the second input you should be fine (however I have used many audio switches and they works just fine as long as they are analog) but for thsose speakers I would highly recommend the used market for CD players as you can get some really good value for what you buying!

Reactions: AudioPhil

AudioPhil

Apr 1, 2021
Visit site
Firstly my apologies, I had completely forgotten this thread :blush: A couple of weeks ago I managed to get a Pioneer PD-M603 6 Disc changer CD player for £25. It was in imacculate condition with just the front badge missing.

As @filipplord says I was able to connect it to the PC inputs of my speakers and it is exactly what I was looking for, the sound is perfect for my small room. Many thanks to you all for your help and advice (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts