Adding AV receiver to hifi setup

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a 5.1 or 7.1 surround set up.

I currently have a Rotel RA-02 powering B&W 602S3 speakers. I want to keep this set up for music but add surround sound for films.

Can I purchase a AV amp and somehow set it up so that when listening to music the Rotel RA02 powers the B&w 602, and with movies the AV amp powers the B&W 602 and the sub/rears?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes you can do this and it'e easy to do. You need a AV amp with front pre-outs, I'm on a lap top at the moment but I'll log off and download how to do it from my PC. I have the instructions on how to do it saved on there.I've got to wash up first though.

daveh75

here you go!

1) The front left and right preouts of the a/v receiver go to a line-input on the stereo amp (aux for example).
2) Set the volume of your stereo amp to about half way and run your speaker calibration routine on the receiver. Then always use this volume setting on the stereo amp whenever you watch AV - overall volume is handled by the receiver.
3) When watching AV, have both amps on,and on the stereo amp select the input that the a/v receiver is connected to (aux for example).
4) When listening to music,only the stereo amp needs to be on, so you select the source thats required.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Daveh75 beat me too it.
You are supposed to have a centre speaker from the same company and series as your front speakers. I have no idea whether you can get a centre speaker to match your 602S3s as I know nothing about them, but if you can't then I would set up a demo of a B&W 685 or 684 system (depending on how big your 602s are) and then get the dealer to swap the front speakers for yours and see if you think the centre and rear speakers sound OK with your 602S3s.
I'm presuming your 602s don't weigh 56lbs each and are easy to transport

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Thank you very much for the excellent advice. Its jsut what I wanted to hear as it makes things a lot simpler, as I thought I would have to somehow run two sets of speaker cable to my front speakers.

From what I have seen on the net not all AV amps come with a preout for the fronts, and i'm on a limited budget so I'll have to trawl ebay and the like for a second hand bargain.

You can still get a matching centre for my speakers on ebay, so I guess I'll get one secondhand.

A

Anonymous

Hi Binman

What did you go for in the end? I've also got a Rotel RA-02 and DM602S3s and wan to go to 5.1 for movies. Did you get the Yamaha amp suggested or somethng else and which speakers. I was thinking of 601s3s for the rear and another series 3 centre speaker?

Any thoughts?

cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts