Adding A Gigabit Switch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Streamer:Ummm.......you'll need to patch cables surley? One to the injector, then one from the injector to the switch - we use these all the time!! You can get 'power brick' injectors that plug straight into the wall socket and have two Ethernet ports. One 'in' from the Home Hub and then one 'out' to the PoE device.
I think, this is one what you need for that Mikrotik router/switch Passive PoE

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Yes, still using a power socket but one near the Home Hub. The OP said he was short of power outlets where the switch will be but had power available near the hub.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
ediots:
Streamer:Ummm.......you'll need to patch cables surley? One to the injector, then one from the injector to the switch - we use these all the time!! You can get 'power brick' injectors that plug straight into the wall socket and have two Ethernet ports. One 'in' from the Home Hub and then one 'out' to the PoE device.
I think, this is one what you need for that Mikrotik router/switch Passive PoE

Probably worth pointing that the item in the link above doesn't appear to come with a power supply! More importantly you would need to check it is fully 802.3af PoE compliant and not a proprietary system.....

A

Anonymous

Yes, looks that power supply not included in price. Anyway, you do not need be 802.3af compliant if you using your own power supply. It is only about unused strands(4) in 8 strand ethernet cable. If you wanted to power it from something like that Netgear in link above, then yes, it will not work because then device need to be 802.3af compliant.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
roger06:Is it possible to buy a switch that doesn't need mains power?

I think the answer to this question is, not easily
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I get it. Answer is - no it is not possible. But here is more then one way to deliver that mains power.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
roger06:
I've order the WD Live TV streaming device today so one way or t'other I'm going to need to plug two devices into an ethernet connection by the hi fi kit!

Can you get an Ethernet cable from your router/Home Hub to where the WD Live needs to be located?

You have a couple of options here realistically - if you can run cables then you could try connecting both devices directly to the router (though this will probably only be at 100Mbps unless it has gigabit ports), or go down the PoE injector near the hub/PoE powered switch near the kit. This should give you 1Gbps between those devices that support that speed connected to the switch. Do both devices have gigabit interfaces?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Streamer:roger06:
I've order the WD Live TV streaming device today so one way or t'other I'm going to need to plug two devices into an ethernet connection by the hi fi kit!

Can you get an Ethernet cable from your router/Home Hub to where the WD Live needs to be located?

You have a couple of options here realistically - if you can run cables then you could try connecting both devices directly to the router (though this will probably only be at 100Mbps unless it has gigabit ports), or go down the PoE injector near the hub/PoE powered switch near the kit. This should give you 1Gbps between those devices that support that speed connected to the switch. Do both devices have gigabit interfaces?

I actually have a network port (wall socket) next to the power sockets for the Hi Fi etc - my house was reasonably well networked when I had it rewired. However, this port is in use by the BD player so it's a question of how to plug in two devices to this port / socket...

And typically the wrong WD device turned up - I ordered the Live one but got the old one which only runs off USB hard drives, not a LAN. So no fun with that before Christmas now...

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Shame about the WD Live!

As there's only one port (and it's in use) you could try Powerline for the WD (not sure about your feelings on this). failing that I'd go for the PoE power switch route. You should be able to get an 802.3af injector for around £30 or so and maybe around £100-150 for a PoE powered switch to provided ports for the BD player and WD Live....

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
ok I know I have entered this conversation a bit late. But I am confused (sorry).

All this talk of switches and hubs, ppoe or similar and so on.

I need a solution to take HD content from the internet through a Billion 7800 N router from upstairs into the lounge downstairs and onto a TV or BDP player.

I am considering Billion wired adapters and running from one of the Ethernet ports on the router along a Ethernet cable into the mains plug. I will then pick the signal up again in the front room on a second adapter, wired into the TV or BDP.

Is this the best option? Do I need to reset anything on the router?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS