Added a Media Converter Kit

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Added a Media Converter Kit to my system, comprising of two, TP-Link MC100CM media converters and an OM2 Fibre Optic Cable.

Fitted it between the final NetGear GS105 switch and the Linn Selekt: Edition Hub

IMG-3098.jpg

Let’s see what happens.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
What do you think it's going to achieve?
It’s supposed to reduce electrical noise over the Ethernet cables for the streamer.

You connect it between the final switch and the streamer, thus creating a break.

This is from the ADOT website to provide some background information.
“Behind the 0's and 1's, hi-fi electrical signals are still analogue and susceptible to noise and interference. This additional noise can compromise the integrity of pulse edges, leading to timing errors and jitter.. By breaking the conducted signal and isolating the hi-fi system using fibre optics, effectively removes interference and noise. This allows the data to be communicated to digital components without introducing any conducted interference. The result is pristine audio quality and improved performance.”

I picked up this complete TP-Link kit on eBay for £25, so worth a punt at that price.

On the top level streamer from Linn, the Next Generation Klimax DSM, this comes with a fibre optic SFP port and they recommend using a fibre optic Ethernet cable. However, the DSM I have, the Linn Selekt DSM; Edition Hub does not, so this kit is a way of achieving this.

I’ve been trying it for a couple of days now and the sound is noticeably different. Initial thoughts are that the music appears more relaxed, clearer and detailed, brighter with a wider soundstage with good positioning of the instruments.

I’ll try it for a week or so, then remove it and go back to the existing set up to see what happens. Not expecting any Wow moments but it is interesting to see what it does do.

DG…

daveh75

It’s supposed to reduce electrical noise over the Ethernet cables for the streamer.

You connect it between the final switch and the streamer, thus creating a break.

Pleased you added a "supposed" in there!

Galvanic isolation is part of the Ethernet spec incidentally....

This is from the ADOT website to provide some background information.
“Behind the 0's and 1's, hi-fi electrical signals are still analogue and susceptible to noise and interference. This additional noise can compromise the integrity of pulse edges, leading to timing errors and jitter.. By breaking the conducted signal and isolating the hi-fi system using fibre optics, effectively removes interference and noise. This allows the data to be communicated to digital components without introducing any conducted interference. The result is pristine audio quality and improved performance.”

Me personally, I'd gnore the spiel from snake oil salesman

I’ve been trying it for a couple of days now and the sound is noticeably different.

Of course it is, and I'd fully expect you to 'hear' differences frankly.

Initial thoughts are that the music appears more relaxed, clearer and detailed, brighter with a wider soundstage with good positioning of the instruments.

I’ll try it for a week or so, then remove it and go back to the existing set up to see what happens. Not expecting any Wow moments but it is interesting to see what it does do.

DG…

I'd bet money, that if someone were to replace the media converters and fibre with a standard Cat5 cable without your knowledge you'd still be 'hearing' differences.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Pleased you added a "supposed" in there!

Galvanic isolation is part of the Ethernet spec incidentally....

Me personally, I'd gnore the spiel from snake oil salesman

Of course it is, and I'd fully expect you to 'hear' differences frankly.

I'd bet money, that if someone were to replace the media converters and fibre with a standard Cat5 cable without your knowledge you'd still be 'hearing' differences.
Most insightful.

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I’ve got back to doing some testing of the media converter set up, now the family have left after the weeks holiday and Mrs DG is at work.

Played the following tracks;
- The Dave Brubeck Quartet; At Carnegie Hall; Blu Rondo A La Turk / Take Five
- Art of Noise; In Visible Silence; Paranoimia
- Ben Sidram; Swing State; Swing State
- Bill Evans Trio; Sunday At The Village Vanguard; Gloria’s Step
- Daniel Pemberton; The Man from U.N.C.L.E.; Out of the Garage
- Hugh Laurie; Let Them Talk; St. James Infirmary
- John Coletrane; Blue Train (The Complete Masters); Blue Train
- Lou Donaldson; Alligator Boogaloo; Alligator Boogaloo
- Miles Davis; Tutu; Tutu
- Sonny Rollins; Vol. 2; Why Don’t I
- Yello; Flag; The Race
- Leftfield; Leftism; Release The Pressure

Also took the opportunity to tidy up the Network Switch, Media Converters and Cables.
IMG-3420.jpg

After taking the system back to more basics, I was going to leave it alone. But after reading Linn Docs for something else, I saw the part on Linn recommending Fibre for the NGKDSM. After checking the Selekt DSM I found that there was no Fibre input, so looked for an alternate way of achieving this. Hence, looking at the ADOT system and then going DIY, getting this set up complete for £25. Though, even buying it new, it is still only around £50-60, so not too expensive. The ADOT system would have been £560, some 22 times more expensive.

As mentioned earlier, I found that the volume level was a bit lower and needed to be increased slightly. The separation has widened and the transition from left to right is very defined. Bass isn’t as deep, but more controlled with a greater breadth. With the Jazz tracks, percussion is very clear and detailed, which really makes the rhythm easy to follow. Overall, a very nice toe tapping listening session.

Of the changes (improvements) I’ve made, this has worked the best so far. For £25 this has been a no brainer. Initially I used a lot of Chord products, (EE8, EE1, Signature Super ARAY / Epic / Clearway Streaming cables, SignatureX Mains cable), but as my previous posts have advised, I found that compared to cheaper alternative there was no real significant improvements. (However, I have read on this Forum that the Chord products start making a real improvement the higher you go up the chain, for example; Sarum T and ChordMusic. But then you are talking about serious money).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts