Add preamp or replace amp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The -6dB comment was to point out that realistic expectations should be kept. No tremendous bass will come out of a passive 6" woofer at 30Hz-50Hz. If it's pushed hard with bass boost from EQ or tone controls, it will give a wallop but with high THD and very likely shorten the driver's lifespan. Tremendous bass is for big speakers or just get a subwoofer as suggested.

Mind you, you should experiment with speaker positioning for a while with a new system. Never get used to the sound, always change and fiddle with it untill you know eachother well. You could be sitting in a bass suckout in your listening position. Move about your chair and see where the bass is accumulated/lost. If you give up on experimenting after a week or two, you will just accomodate to the sound and not enjoy your kit to its full potential.

Bass expands in all directions but due to the size of its waves it acts like a corrugated sheet. If you are under the wave's peak, you will miss hearing the frequency beacuse no pressure will be applied to your ear drum. But if you move forward with your seating, you will 'catch a wave', so to speak.

Thanks guys - yes I've fiddled with the positioning and placed in an old MS sub (set at the lowest volume and cross over) and there is certainly an improvement. TBH I think the introduction of more bass friendly, higher gauge speaker cable speaker cable (have some 4mm QED on order and a larger rug may almost cure the problem :) Fingers crossed.

Evening all...so spent a couple of hours listening this evening with the MS SUb..I think this is the option to go with (Mats options 3 :)). So next question which I know you're all eager to help with.....what's a decent music sub? I'd don't mind second hand or new, budget is around £300. (I'm puzzled why Tannoy only do a mega expensive definition one)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
David Smart said:
Evening all...so spent a couple of hours listening this evening with the MS SUb..I think this is the option to go with (Mats options 3 :)). So next question which I know you're all eager to help with.....what's a decent music sub? I'd don't mind second hand or new, budget is around £300. (I'm puzzled why Tannoy only do a mega expensive definition one)

Look at this for starters - http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
David Smart said:

When i had dc6 speakers for my surround sound i was gonna get a tannoy ts12 and they are i think 500w and about £300 but this was last year decemeber time. Ill have a look and set you a link later

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts