Active subwoofer, active speaker setup

Bucky

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I produce music as a hobby and have a home studio with studio monitors and also have an onkyo

receiver with magnat speakers set up.
I now want some compact portable hifi speaker to take with me with my laptop. For coming a little

closer to mixing, I have my audio interface and german maestro headphones, which are really good.

Doing final mixing and mastering is impossible though, due to lacking spatiallity on the

headphones. The speaker set I want to bring with is not for mixing or mastering either. Small

speakers won't give me that option anyway, so I want the best sounding most portable setup. With

emphasis on portability, high quality sound and having a subwoofer with in case I really need a

good bass with me as well.

So far, with lot's of reading reviews on the net, I came down to this set:

Audioengine a2

audioengine-a2-3.jpg

1207Aenfig5.jpg

taken from http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioengine-2-powered-loudspeaker-measurements
Fig.5 Audioengine2, anechoic response on tweeter axis at 50", averaged across 30° horizontal
window and corrected for microphone response, with the nearfield responses of the port (red) and
woofer (blue) plotted below 700 and 300Hz, respectively, and the complex sum of the nearfield
responses plotted below 300Hz (black).

combined with this subwoofer:

tweak_dk_Argon_SUB640_8.JPG

(can't find charts on these) Specifications
Type: Basreflex type kabinet
Speaker: 1 bas Driver
Inputs: L/R RCA stereo, h
Outputs: PRE-OUT, lav niveau udgang
Strøm: 220-240V, 50/60Hz
Amplifier type: Analogue Hi-Fi Amplifier
Woofer: 6 1/2” Long stroke Woofer Speaker
Phase regulation: yes 0-180 degrees
Volume regulations: yes
Auto stand-by: yes after 10 min.
Frequency Response: (-3db): 50Hz-200Hz
Cross over Frequency: 40-150Hz adjustable
Output Power: 1x65W (RMS)
Weight: 6,5 kg

These fit the budget and size I'm looking for an as far as I have deducted, they're the best for

the prize I'm looking at.

Now, my question is, do the subwoofer and speakers work together?
Can I hook my laptop through my audio interface to the subwoofer RCA connectors and the hook the

RCA connectors of the subwoofer to the Audioengine a2?

Then , can you explain to me how I'd go about to find the right crossover and phase setting on the

subwoofer?

Thx in advance

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Bucky said:
tweak_dk_Argon_SUB640_8.JPG

Now, my question is, do the subwoofer and speakers work together?
Can I hook my laptop through my audio interface to the subwoofer RCA connectors and the hook the

RCA connectors of the subwoofer to the Audioengine a2?

Then , can you explain to me how I'd go about to find the right crossover and phase setting on the

subwoofer?

Thx in advance

The speakers and sub connect as you suggest. Laptop > audio interface > sub line input. The sub line out > A2 inputs.

There are various websites that give information on setting up subs, you will also need some sweep test tones and these will probably be available on the same websites..

The sub instructions from the manufacturer should give you some idea and they may even be downloadable before purchase.

Bucky

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Setting volume, frequency and phaseThe volume, crossover and phase (controls 1, 2 and3 onpage 4-5 ) can be adjusted on the rear panel, and werecommend that you adjust the setting of these controls toyour liking – try with different music and films. If you wantmore detailed information on these control functions, weinvite you to visit our homepage www.argonaudio.com.That's all i could find in the manual and on their website there's nothing else.Anyone have a handy link where described how best to find the right frequencies?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts